Cocoa Systems Agronomist (20-57)
ICRAF through its host institution in Peru the International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Cocoa Systems Agronomist, who will be responsible to foster agroforestry and sustainable land management interventions in cocoa farming systems, by supporting design and monitoring of agroforestry interventions and build capacity of ICRAF partners and projects beneficiaries in cocoa sustainable management and agroforestry.
The position: The Cocoa Systems Agronomist position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to the Principal Scientist.
- Develop cocoa interventions in ICRAF sites in the Amazon (regions of Ucayali, San Martin, Loreto and Amazonas) based on ICRAF and partners approaches and tools (including digital) to carry out diagnostic, design and monitoring of Agroforestry.
- Using a mix of methods that combines scientific and technical literature with local knowledge and perceptions (including review recent literature technical manuals and digital tools for sustainable intensification of cocoa systems and land restoration through cocoa agroforestry), systematize and organize information to support design of agroforestry practices (shade, structure and composition) reflecting farmers aspirations and circumstances in particular considering needs for adaptation and enhancement of ecosystem services provision in sustainable intensification and restoration processes at forest-farm interface.
- Facilitate co-learning and structured engagement processes by leading processes of co-design and reflective learning through interventions with farmers and supervising the implementation and monitoring of co-learning plots in collaboration with farmers groups and organizations.
- Coordinate and supervise fieldwork activities through frequent travels to ICRAF regions of interventions and supervision of local teams.
- Propose innovation in supporting local technicians using digital tools
- Engage with cocoa extension service provider and facilitate collaboration with partners of the Cocoa Value Chain including private sector and public institutions, and the national cocoa action plan in Peru.
- Liaise with ICRAF socio-economic and mitigation focal points and work in synergy with the coffee agronomist to advance work on permanent crops.
- Lead and contribute to scientific and technical communication products (minimum one)
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree in agriculture, agronomy, or related field
- At least 6 years’ experience in agroecology and agroforestry, Climate Smart Agriculture and sustainable practices in cocoa
- Good data analysis capacity
- Proven ability in writing, synthesizing results and communicating
- Understanding of market and cocoa value chain in Peru
- Understanding of the Extension services processes and familiarity with extension techniques specific to cocoa
- Proven Ability to facilitate engagement of farmers with communities, private and public-sector stakeholder
- Proven Ability for networking with Sectorial actors
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to different socio ecological contexts (type of actors, legislation, environmental issues)
- Proven ability to work in transdisciplinary teams
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Experience in facilitation
- Advanced level of MS Office
- Good command of the English and Spanish languages, both written and spoken
- Able to travel inside Peru (Flexibility and availability for travelling to the key cocoa regions of Peru)
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- ICRAF is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R for D background and is dedicated to generating and applying the best available knowledge on the diverse roles that trees play in agricultural landscapes for the benefit of both farmers and the environment.
- The selected candidate will integrate a dynamic and rapidly growing team with exciting opportunities and start a career in an international research center.
- ICRAF and CIP are members of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
- Six months term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website ( http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on the 21st of September and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply