Procurement and Finance Assistant
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme/Project Manager, the Procurement/Finance Assistant provides transparent and efficient procurement and financial services and processes in the office ensuring high quality of work, accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The Procurement/Finance Assistant promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in the office.
The Procurement/Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement and financial activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control.Provision of inputs to elaboration of workplans
Supports procurement and financial processes for the Programme/Project focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
- Organizes procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals.
- Serves as ex-officio for evaluation committees.
- Preparation of requests with all supporting documents for issuance of Purchase orders, contracts, subcontracts and other documents related to procurement of goods and services.
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas, budget check for requisitions.
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Interpretation and implementation of NEX financial procedures and ensure their compliance.
- Certifying availability of funds and ensuring that the activities are in line with the approved workplan and budget levels.
- Monitoring regularly the Programme budget, provision of timely advice to the Management on fund limitations and obtaining approval of budget revision(s) from UNDP.
- Preparation of reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures and potential funding problems.
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for the Programme/Project; payment execution and monitoring payment status.
- Preparation of budget revisions per established rules.
- Ensuring the accurate book-keeping of advance funds received and preparation and submission of reports to the CO.
- Processing of financial documentation (vouchers, supporting documents, etc.) and maintaining internal expenditures control system.
- Maintenance of Petty Cash
- Preparation and handling the finance related routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for financial records and documents.
- Assist the Audit and prepare necessary documents.
- Perform other duties as and when required.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on procurement, administration.
- Briefing personnel on general procurement matters.
Innovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Required Skills and Experience
- Successful completion of secondary education. Bachelor degree preferably in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics or Management is desirable but not required. Specialized training in procurement is desirable.
- 3 years of procurement and/or financial experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of automated procurement systems is desirable.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Pidgin is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.