Social Services and Coaching Team Leader - Mersin
Mersin | Turkey
General Description of the Programme
GOAL is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable. GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 13 countries world-wide. GOAL has been working in northern Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming, water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services. GOAL has been contributing to the urban refugee responses in Turkey since 2016 with a focus on enabling access to health and the protection services for vulnerable and marginalized asylum seekers in Turkey.
Overview of GOAL Turkey Programs
Currently, GOAL Turkey has two active programs (ECHO funded LINK and BPRM funded GREEN). Green program aims to improve socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities (Syrians as well as those living in program locations under the international protection regulation) including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services. LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labor. On the other hand, LINK program has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable/marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey.
Line managed by the Social Services/Coaching Project Manager (SSCPM) and supervising Social Services and Coaching Workers, the postholders will be based in Adana, Hatay and Mersin, respectively. She/he will be responsible from day to day implementation of social services, coaching, IPA/SN (case management) and outreach activities of the GREEN Program. Social Services and Coaching Team Leaders (SSCTLs) will be managing, mentoring, supervising and closely monitoring activities of Coaching/Social Services Workers based in Adana, Hatay and Mersin respectively, ensuring appropriate activity monitoring, progress tracking and reporting mechanisms are in place to achieve quality and timely results. In coordination with SSCPM, postholders will be required to coordinate all protection/social services components of the program between a variety of internal and external stakeholders including statutory service providers, municipalities, UN agencies, local, national and international NGOs in the field and internally with other GOAL Turkey programs. SSCTLs should have strong managerial and coordination skills and case management experiences and be able to develop individualized work plans, weekly plans; and set targets, mentor, and closely monitor the activities of field team members.
· Work with GOAL Turkey teams and other professionals from a range of organizations to develop services that deliver the best possible outcomes for vulnerable/marginalized individuals and their families.
· Work co-operatively with other agencies and stakeholders, particularly with the local, national, international NGOs, local CBOs and UN agencies.
· Be up to date on his/her knowledge of local service provisions for appropriate referrals etc.
· In coordination with social services officer and assistant, support the line manager on developing and sustaining functioning referral pathways with relevant provincial stakeholders and services i.e. with I/NGOs, PDs of MoFLSS, municipality social services and PDMMs.
· Ensure adherence to internationally recognized protection principles, standards, and relevant international and local regulations, particularly protection and case management principles and standards.
· Ensure adherence with GOAL’s code of conducts and other internal policies i.e. on confidentiality, safeguarding, equality, diversity, and inclusion including the GOAL's commitments to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
· Work with staff, supervisors and peers in harmony to achieve program plans, objectives/targets.
· Participate in one to one performance development reviews/appraisals for the supervised staff with line manager and contribute to the identification of own development needs.
· Ensure full compliance with the GOAL’s health and safety policy and all locally agreed safe methods of work.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
· Plan and implement individual protection assistance/special need supports (IPA/SN) to program beneficiaries through comprehensive assessment, case planning, case implementation, follow up and case closure in addition to project's outreach, provision of information and awareness raising activities to refugees and host communities about their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey.
· Provision of IPA/SN assessment and provision to beneficiaries on a daily basis at the field.
· Ensure outreach, provision of information and awareness raising activities implemented on a daily basis.
· Daily management and supervision of the Social Services/Coaching Workers.
· Work with the GOAL Team and other stakeholders to identify and register individual cases requires IPA/SN intervention at the field.
· Ensure to record registered cases and activties in the database on time and with quality, update the information as necessary and ensure that progress is updated in the database.
· Accompany the beneficiaries as needed and support them to access to services.
· Report to Social Services/Coaching Project Manager on weekly and monthly basis.
· Coordinate with Labour Market Facilitator Officer, Social Service Officer and Assistant as Interagency Referral Focal Point to enhance service mapping and ensure referral mechanisms are functional
· Work closely with the MEAL Team and the Social Services/Coaching Project Manager on the timely monitoring and evaluation of the IPA/SN cases, referrals and outreach activities.
· Follow up with cases received through Community Feedback and Response Mechanisms and make sure respective tracker is up to date as required by MEAL department.
· Ensure close follow up on referral cases and keep record on outcomes
· Ensure delegated program components implemented on time, target, and budget.
· Work closely with line manager and technical supervisors to ensure a holistic approach and ensure a close collaboration with other GOAL Turkey programs to facilitate internal referrals between different teams.
· Supervise assigned team members and manage their performance i.e. coaching and social services team workers based in Adana.
· Support line manager to develop detailed and strict work plans for team, to set targets and standards, and closely monitor program progress and results in accordance with the program timelines.
· Take part in regular team meetings and engage in reporting mechanism and tools to ensure program is implemented in line with agreed work plans.
· Oversee the development, management and implementation of all beneficiary coaching, individual protection assistance/special needs activities including outreach activities and referral activities.
· Ensure quality control, value-added and effects/impact analyses for client groups, identification and capitalization of best practices and lessons learned and make relevant feedback for development.
· Ensure activities are conducted in accordance with GOALs program SOPs/guidelines and support with development and revisions program SOPs/guidelines.
· Ensure quality implementation through compliance and adherence to GOAL, donor and national policies, procedures and guidelines including internationally recognized protection and social services standards.
· Ensure activities implemented in line with the approved program proposal and budget, communicating issues/problems in advance to line manager and preparing course of corrective actions where needed.
· Support the line manager to ensure that risks are appropriately managed, including financial, programmatic, staff safety/security and reputational risks.
· Ensure appropriate information flow within the team members and with the line manager, facilitate and submit regular progress reports in line with agreed timeframes to the line manager with inputs from other team members.
· Ensure all field level activities, coaching and IPA/SN case information is thoroughly documented, updated, filed and stored with due consideration of confidentiality and data protection principles.
· Ensure beneficiary and activity data entered correctly and on time, and that all progresses are closely monitored and updated in the database.
· Work closely with MEAL colleagues to ensure that appropriate monitoring activities are undertaken to a high standard to capture lesson learned and best practices.
· Assist the line manager with scoping of potential new areas for engagement through analysis of secondary data, stakeholder analysis and field assessments.
· Coordinate with and support the line manager with capacity development of staff including identifying capacity needs and offering input for training programs.
· Participate and support with GOAL Turkey Program Strategy development/revisions by feeding in input from field.
· Any other duties related to the nature of the job as requested by the line manager and technical supervisors.
· Turkish Citizenship
· Demonstrated experience of supervising team members is a must.
· Strong skills and experience in coaching and case management (assessment, planning, follow up, etc.)
· Able to identify and analyse people’s socio-economic vulnerabilities as well as capacities in order to better target the most at risk and to support them to overcome protection risks and vulnerabilities through holistic case management/coaching services.
· Fluent English, Arabic and Turkish languages both spoken and written.
· University degree in a related field e.g. social work, sociology, psychology, social sciences, international relations, law, or public administration, etc.
· At least 2 years’ work experience in I/NGO or voluntary sector with experience in program/program management, staff supervision and program progress/performance monitoring.
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Coaching and mentoring skills.
· Previous experiences in protection programs with supervisory roles i.e. in social work with refugees, case management and psychosocial support, etc.
· Previous experience of organizing community events and services across a range of technical sectors, protection outreach and awareness raising activities.
· Experience of working in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
· Organizational skills.
· Strong problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, representation, and negotiation skills.
· Strong working knowledge and practices with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. required. Able to monitor data, filter, sort for clarification of most vulnerable people among a huge number for selection criteria.
· Experience in Southeast Turkey. Work experience in Green Program locations (Adana, Hatay or Mersin) is an advantage.
· Knowledge of economy in Turkey, including knowledge of household economy in rural and urban contexts, income-generating activities, and small business management.
· Knowledge of livelihood services in Turkey.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
· Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behavior protocols.
· Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
· Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 27th September 2020.