ODI’s Development and Public Finance (DPF) programme is looking to expand its network of consultants to support its programme of work delivering policy-relevant research and advice to governments and international organisations across a range of public finance themes. We are currently looking to expand our network of fiscal economists and public financial management professionals with proficiency in English and/or French and/or Arabic.
ODI is an independent, global think tank that aims to harness the power of evidence and ideas through research and partnership to confront challenges, develop solutions and create change. The Development and Public Finance programme has a strong reputation globally for undertaking original, policy-relevant research, influencing key policy debates, supporting knowledge exchange and working in partnership to strengthen the capabilities of governments.
About our advisory work
Our team engages in long-term partnerships with governments seeking to strengthen their institutional capabilities to deliver reforms. We do this by combining responsive analysis and research with technical expertise in public administration, public financial management, domestic resource mobilisation, fiscal decentralisation, and service delivery, and taking a problem driven approach to reform and capacity development.
We have ongoing country partnerships with governments in Côte D’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Sudan and Uganda.
We also regularly undertake research and advisory assignments on behalf of World Bank, UNICEF and others. Recent examples include a review public financial management diagnostics for the health sector for UNICEF, a review of the governance for growth programme in Vanuatu for DFAT, and an analysis of the links between public financial management and good governance for the PEFA Secretariat.
About the roles
To support specific demands in our country programmes we are currently seeking applications from:
- - Fiscal economists / Public Financial Management (PFM) experts with working proficiency in Arabic and English. The positions would particularly suit individuals who have experience working in the planning, budgeting, treasury, or aid/debt management functions in a finance ministry. Experience of managing programmes of technical assistance is also desirable.
- - Experts in international taxation with working proficiency in French and/or English. The positions would particularly suit individuals with a background working in the audit department of a tax authority with experience in international taxation and transfer pricing. Knowledge of extractive industry sectors is highly desirable.
- - Experts in programme budgeting with working proficiency in French and ideally English. The positions would particularly suit individuals with previous experience of supporting the implementation of programme-based budgeting reforms and/or with experience working with sectors to develop monitoring and evaluation systems. Knowledge of the agriculture and /or water sectors is highly desirable.
- - Experts in revenue/tax policy with proficiency in English. The positions would particularly suit individuals with previous experience working in a tax policy role in a ministry of finance or revenue authority. Experience in a similar role in a lower income country is desirable.
The above roles will include a mix of ‘on-the-job’ advice and training, support to governments to develop systems and processes, working with officials to provide advice and analysis to senior policy makers, as well as working within a broader country programme. We would be particularly interested to hear from experienced civil servants.
These roles are long term advisory positions on current or prospective country partnership programmes requiring either residence or frequent travel to the country. Please note all travel during the Covid-19 pandemic must go through the official ODI risk assessment procedure. More detail can be provided on this as necessary.
We also encourage applications to work with our team on short-term research assignments from those with relevant experience.
Other relevant qualifications, skills and experience
We are looking for excellent individuals with strong self-drive, high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Applicants should have excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- - Work well within a diverse team
- - Build and manage effective relationships with government counterparts
- - Navigate complex political environments
- - Communicate complex messages clearly to stakeholders
- - Analyse wide ranging sources of evidence and large data sets
All applicants will have a degree in economics, finance, public policy and administration, development studies, business administration, or related fields, and at least 3-4 years of relevant work experience. Advanced MS Excel skills and knowledge of statistical software or programming languages are highly desirable.
We would particularly encourage nationals and/or experienced former civil servants from African and Middle Eastern countries to apply.
Remuneration will be competitive within the international charitable sector, dependent on experience and will include provision for flights, accommodation and relevant expenses when travelling.
PLEASE NOTE: The positions available are for consultants. The contract offered is for the supply of consultancy services and will not constitute a contract of employment with ODI.
Consultancy positions with the DPF programme offer various avenues for continuous professional development including opportunities to engage in research, present your own work and experience to a wide audience, and participate in our annual retreat and conference. We also offer associate affiliations to long term advisory and research collaborators.
How to apply
To express interest, please send a concise CV to email@example.com at the earliest opportunity, but by 30 October 2020 latest. In the covering mail, please highlight your areas of thematic expertise, language skills, country experience and expected daily fee rate.
There are opportunities for remote work, or country-based support. Current Development and Public Finance country-based projects include: Liberia, Mali, Sudan, Somaliland, Uganda, Cote D'Ivoire, Rwanda.
Please follow the link to the ODI website for more information about the role and to apply.