| || |
| || |
| || |
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with national counterparts on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
UNDP Afghanistan Mission Statement:
UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution, Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections, institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, judicial, and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies, and commissions at the national and subnational levels.
In line with the 2030 Agenda, UNDP supports the Government in aligning the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with the national development strategies, planning/budgeting processes as well as generating awareness on SDGs among all stakeholders: government, non-government, private and development partners.
UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
The Project is part of UNDP’s overall strategy to support the MOIA and ANP at different levels: (1) Ministry; (2) Provincial police headquarters; and (3) District Police Stations, as well as across different thematic issues identified by the MOIA: (1) Public Order and Security; (2) Law Enforcement and Counter Crimes; (3) Public Services; (4) Institutional Reform; (5) Counter Narcotics; (6) Counter Corruption; and (7) Gender and Human Rights. Currently, UNDP has one project (COPS Project) supporting Law Enforcement and Counter Crimes, but has additional projects being developed in additional areas including public services and security.
This Project supports the general approach through key interventions through catalytic interventions to support reform within the MOIA and Afghan National Police (ANP). The three key interventions supported through this project are (1) Police Emergency Response Services (PERS) – which aims to re-establish a police emergency call centre and improve police responses; (2) Policewomen’s Training – which aims to increase the number and quality of policewomen within the ANP; and (3) the construction of the Deputy Minister for Support Building – which provides much needed infrastructure to support the responsibilities of the MOIA’s Office of the Deputy Minister for Support. These key interventions will provide key support to important reform areas within the MOIA and ANP, and provide them with a strong foundation upon which to undertake further reforms within the ANP and the way that policework is undertaken within Afghanistan.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, ICT Specialist is responsible for carrying out the functions and tasks as per this Terms of Reference (ToR).
| || |
Duties and Responsibilities
| || |
1.Leads PERS Technical team in design and development of PERS call Center, ICT system and technologies related to PERS.
- Lead the PERS technical team and technically support assessment, procurement and implementation, technical training and monitoring of the designed system;
- Design, develop and provide technical support in implementing PERS call center solution and related storage and systems;
- Designing physical and logical ICT infrastructure of PERS call center and data centers based on provided space by MOIA/PHQ,
- Assist in analyzing the nature of all emergency cases in 119 and configuring Contact Center systems and services accordingly.
2. Oversee set up and deployment of ICT related equipment and services.
- Monitor setup and deployment of ICT related equipment and services (Network switch, E1/SIP connection, power backup, Server machines, PABX, Interactive Voice Response (IVR), and all other network peripherals etc.) in MOIA, Provincial headquarters (Kabul) and PDs;
- Provide technical support for all software, hardware and equipment of PERS to meet Police needs and requirements in terms of PERS;
- Help and support in developing concise reporting on the PERS initiative during each phase of implementation to PERS donor and MOIA;
- Assist in defining the Data Centre and disaster recovery requirements in terms of hosting models, data replication mechanisms (active-active vs. active-passive) and location;
- Coordination with all relevant parties, i.e. General Directorate of ICT, Police-e-Mardomi General Directorate, Kabul PHQ, contractors, ATRA and mobile service providers;
- Support and close coordination/communication with other colleagues involved in the PERS Initiative throughout the assignment in order to monitor progress and provide crucial updates (including challenges and issues) to keep everyone abreast with the project progress;
- Design, develop and provide technical support in implementing PERS Call Center solution and related storage and systems;
- Support in replication of PERS data, in coordination with PERS Technical Committee, System Solution/Telecom Expert and Software Development Officer.
3. Strengthen MoIA’s capacity to operate and maintain PERS call system, storage and related services.
- Provide regular trainings, workshops, and orientation to PERS call agents and ICT staff inside MoIA and Kabul PHQ on PERS call center operation, management, and maintenance;
- Provide technical expertise and recommendations in assessing the new technologies and system to support and enhance other requirements for MoIA/UNDP;
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement;
- Make available data, information and knowledge products required to support PERS knowledge building and management needs.
4. Technical support, Partnership, and Coordination.
- Coordination with relevant parties, i.e General Directorate of ICT, Police-e-Mardomi General Directorate, Kabul PHQ, contractors, ATRA and mobile service providers in terms of PERS implementation;
- Support and close coordination/communication with other colleagues involved the PERS Initiate throughout the assignment in order to monitor progress and provide crucial updates (including challenges and issues ) to keep everyone abreast with the project progress;
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the counterparts, Program Management Specialist, Project Managers, and Engineering Specialist to achieve well designed- solutions.
| || |
| || |
Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Ability to persuade others to follow.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations.
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
Ability to engage with other teams and stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Information Systems & Technology Management
Knowledge of IST innovations and concepts and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
Learning and Development
Knowledge of enterprise learning and development issues, concepts, and principles, and ability to apply them to enhance the fulfillment and performance of employees
Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency.
The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source.
| || |
Required Skills and Experience
| || |
- Master’s and/or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or other relevant field from an accredited college or university
- With Master, 3 years and with Bachelor 5 years’ experience in System/Network administration, Telecom and related management is required;
- Prior experience working with enterprise level Call Center systems such as” Avaya and Cisco” are required;
- Experience of working with Government departments/ministries, public sector institutions is required;
- Prior experience working in Telecommunication company including data center is required, on similar assignments will be considered an asset;
- Prior experience with the UNDP or any other UN agency is highly desirable;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the Information and Communication Technology;
- Excellent written and oral English skills is a necessary requirement;
- Fluency in Dari or Pashto is a must.
| || |
| || |
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.