Administrative Assistant for CI, Ref. JA 12-2020
(Only candidates who are entitled to work in Myanmar may apply to this position)OVERVIEW
Parent Sector : Communication and Information Sector (CI)
Duty Station: Myanmar
Job Family: Communication and Information
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-Sep-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismBACKGROUND
UNESCO works to create an enabling environment for a free, independent and pluralistic media by promoting and protecting freedom of expression, safety of journalists, access to information and fostering a media and information literate society. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, under Goal 16, recognizes the importance of “access to information, fundamental freedoms and the safety of journalists for the creation of peaceful, just and inclusive societies”. The “Multi Donor Programme on Freedom of Expression and Safety of Journalists” aims to help facilitate UNESCO’s work in the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).Major Duties and Responsibilities
UNESCO office in Myanmar is working with a wide range of stakeholders, including the Ministry of Information, the Myanmar Press Council, international and local media development organizations, journalists and media associations, on a series of activities to promote the freedom of expression and access to information. The activities include awareness raising on media freedom by celebrating international days such as the World Press Freedom Day, organization of national dialogues on Freedom of Expression and Safety of Journalists, capacity building programmes and multimedia campaigns to promote Media and Information Literacy and advocacy for the development of Community Media in Myanmar.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and under the direct supervision of Head of the Myanmar Project Office, working in close collaboration with UNESCO Communication and Information unit in Myanmar, the incumbent will provide programmatic and administrative support to projects as follows:Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative assistance to improve the coordination and organization of routine administrative tasks and logistics of project activities, including obtaining quotations, printing and procuring stationery, correspondence, and management of allowance payments to workshop participants.
- In collaboration with team members, assess administrative support needs for meetings/events/workshops/ seminars, travel, document processing/publication production and consultants/temporary assistance.
- Provide support in programme administration with regard to the preparation of outreach activities, partnership initiatives and special events; look for possible venues; obtain quotations; prepare list of participants; draft invitation letters, etc.
- Initiate travel authorization and make travel arrangements for team staff; provide similar assistance to partners and stakeholders for travel relating to the project as required.
- Initiate a variety of contractual documents using examples or templates; identify consultants, suppliers (from a roster), and prepare purchase requisitions in accordance with instructions; verify requests for payments against contractual obligations in the financial system; process contractual transactions and provide information on payment status and remaining obligations to the responsible officer.
- Support quality assurance for all contracts, funds reservations, purchase orders and payments being processed by the UNESCO Myanmar administration unit to ensure accuracy of the required forms, supporting documentation and calculations and adherence with UNESCO administrative and human resources manuals.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc budgetary/financial updates, reports, statistics and/or projections for use and scrutiny by management/staff.
- Prepare paperwork, submit and prepare requests for approval of HR-related initiatives such as processing visas, security cards and other documentation.
- Maintain electronic and hard-copy files/records/data sources up-to-date on budgetary data, contract, personnel and other administrative matters; ensure the proper creation and closure of files and the safe retention of the same; provide general office assistance, receive, register and draft correspondence, emails.
- Maintain close communication with the Administrative and Finance Unit in Bangkok to ensure that processes, procedures and timeframes are respected for the efficient implementation of project activities;
- Support informal translation of administrative documents or letters and provide informal interpretation support to UNESCO international staff during workshops and meetings.
- Conduct other work or responsibilities as assigned by the Head of the Myanmar Project Office to support UNESCO’s programming activities in Myanmar.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of business administration, finance, accounting, management or related areas
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience in administration and/or programme support service
- Proven experience in providing administrative and logistical support as a member of a project team
- Excellent knowledge of English and Myanmar (spoken and written)
Skills and competencies
- Excellent computer skills in all aspects of Microsoft Office, including typing in English and Myanmar (Zawgyi and Pyidaungsu fonts)
- Capacity for accuracy and attention to detail in preparation of correspondence
- Ability to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services
- Ability to work independently on delegated tasks and to meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Proven ability to work efficiently, under pressure, and in a multi-cultural environment
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related areas
- Experience within the UN System or international organizations
- Experience in conducting research will be an advantage
- Experience in the field of ICT
Skills and competencies
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.