ICT Senior Assistant (IT Infrastructure - Systems Assistant)
Background Information - Job-specific
The ICT Senior Assistant (IT Infrastructure - Systems Assistant) will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Information Systems Officer, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC Valencia, Spain, provides specific expertise in the operations of the IT infrastructure supporting the UN SAP Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) under the hybrid cloud computing strategy.
This support includes but is not limited to the following components of the back-end IT infrastructure: storage arrays, backup storage arrays, servers, SAN switches, virtualization, operating system, cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the environment.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Summary of Key Functions
- Linux and Virtualization Support
- IT Infrastructure and backup
- Technical Support
- Knowledge Management
- Other duties
- Provides support to Linux server infrastructure that support ERP mission critical application.
- Works with the team to maintain virtualization platform infrastructure and provide support to customers.
- Assists in operating IT infrastructure hardware components like: servers, storage, SAN switches, etc that support ERP mission critical application.
- Operates backup software and infrastructure that support ERP mission critical application
- Contributes to develop scripts for operation process automation based on systems engineering and configuration management frameworks.
- Assists on the deployment of several projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Contributes to solve complex problems related to IT infrastructure.
- Participates in on-call rotation that includes afternoon working hour shifts.
- Continually explores, evaluates and recommends advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
5. Other duties
- Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of results:
The result of work of the ICT Senior Assistant (IT Infrastructure - Systems Assistant) impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- University Degree (Bachelor's or Master's) is desirable and may substitute for some of the required number of years of experience.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment.
- 4 years of experience with Linux technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions
- 4 years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multi-location environments (e.g. VMware, vSphere replication, VMware SRM, etc).
- Experience operating HP IT infrastructure (Superdome servers, 3PAR storage, StoreOnce storage arrays, etc)
- Experience supporting multi location enterprise grade data center is desirable.
- Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is a requirement.
- Knowledge of a second UN language is an advantage.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : Staff
- Contract level : G5
- Contract duration : One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.Background Information – Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.