Director, Office of Sustainable Development Goals, OSG
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), are global objectives that will shape national development plans over the next 15 years. From ending poverty and hunger to responding to climate change and sustaining our natural resources, food and agriculture lies at the heart of the 2030 Agenda. The Office of Sustainable Development Goals coordinates FAO engagement in the 2030 Agenda follow-up and review, working closely with concerned units across the Organization.
The Director, OSG works under the guidance of, and reports to, the Director-General of FAO.
Summary of Duties and Functions
· Ensure consistent messaging and communication on key priorities for food and agriculture to achieve sustainable development; provide information and a compelling narrative to Members, partners and other stakeholders on FAO’s engagement in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
· Promote innovative approaches in order to scale up the work on the ground and in cooperation with public, private, academia and civil society; collect and disseminate lessons learned and make proposals for improvements;
· Monitor overall progress on the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, advise management and coordinate with other relevant stakeholders on possible corrective actions;
· Provide overall guidance, tools and other modalities to FAO country offices to ensure food and agriculture are reflected in voluntary national reviews (VNR), and to identify and manage the associated trade-offs.
· Provide guidance to FAO units on the formation of surge capacity teams needed to support VNRs, UN country-level planning, and other country level processes.
· Support the Office of the Chief Statistician in the consolidation of FAO’s input to the Global Sustainable Development report;
· Provide overall guidance to FAO regional offices on priorities to be reflected in Regional Forums on Sustainable Development;
· Coordinate engagement of FAO in the preparatory meetings to the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development;
· Ensure wide dissemination of evidence, analyses and outcomes of the fora to Members and other stakeholders;
· Support the Office of Strategy, Planning and Resources Management (OSP) in further integrating the SDGs into the Organization’s strategic planning and reporting framework, support coordination within FAO on SDG corporate planning and reporting, and contribute to qualitative reporting to Governing Bodies on SDGs;
· Lead and manage the Office to ensure the achievement of the desired results by supervising its staff and making efficient and effective internal organizational arrangements;
· Oversee and deal with the management of risk, ensuring that any significant control weaknesses are escalated;
· Advocate FAO’s policy position with respect to the areas under his/her mandate and communicate its messages.