IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
In 2019, FAO adopted its Strategy on Mainstreaming Biodiversity across Agricultural Sectors (Strategy). An Action Plan for the Implementation of the Strategy (Action Plan) is currently under consultation. To achieve the Strategy’s aim and goals, FAO is committed to (i) supporting Members, at their request, to enhance their capacity to mainstream biodiversity; (ii) integrating biodiversity into FAO policies, programmes and activities; (iii) enhancing the recognition of the important role of biodiversity and its ecosystem services for food security and nutrition, and the agricultural sectors in relevant international agreements and processes; and (iv) strengthening the coordination and delivery of its work on biodiversity.
The Senior Natural Resources Officer works under the overall guidance of the Director of the Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment
Biodiversity and biodiversity mainstreaming across and within agricultural sectors (crop and livestock agriculture, fisheries and aquaculture, and forestry)
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with FAO’s biennial Programme of Work.
• Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-unit or thematic committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
• Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
• Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
• Provides technical and policy advice to Member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
• Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within Member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
• Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Oversees the implementation of the Strategy and Action Plan, including by mainstreaming biodiversity across FAO’s policies, programmes and activities, in close collaboration with relevant technical units and country/regional offices of the Organization;
• Prepares technical and policy documents related to biodiversity, its role for food and agriculture and ways and means to mainstream it across agricultural sectors, including for FAO Technical Committees and Governing Bodies; and other relevant fora, instruments and processes;
• Improves FAO’s institutional capacity to address biodiversity by facilitating knowledge management and cross-sectoral and interdisciplinary collaboration on biodiversity mainstreaming; provides technical support on biodiversity matters to relevant offices;
• Designs and implements activities facilitating biodiversity mainstreaming, including through resource mobilization and the development of projects, guidelines, best practices and training materials;
• Strengthens FAO’s global cooperation on biodiversity mainstreaming, including by preparing multi-stakeholder dialogues, technical workshops and policy fora at regional and international levels;
• Monitors policy, legal and technical developments at national, regional and international levels that are relevant to FAO’s work on mainstreaming biodiversity across all agricultural sectors;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in natural resources management or related biological sciences, agriculture, forestry, fisheries, international policy, law, administration or related field;
• Ten years of relevant experience with international organizations, public or private sector institutions on biodiversity and natural resources management;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Extent of knowledge of developments in other biodiversity relevant international fora and the capacity to conduct technical and policy analysis of on-going processes on biodiversity mainstreaming;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy documents, guidelines and manuals in the field of biodiversity;
• Extent of knowledge and relevance of experience in technical and policy matters related to biodiversity and biodiversity mainstreaming, and experience in planning and implementation of related programmes, at different levels;
• Demonstrated skills and experiences in leading multidisciplinary teams and networks related to biodiversity practices, policies, standards, systems, indicators;
• Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to formulate and manage programmes, projects, budgets and human resources efficiently under shifting priorities;
• Demonstrated ability to prepare, organize and monitor consultative multi-stakeholder processes and/or inter-governmental and/or technical meetings.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Working knowledge of a second language preferably French or Spanish is desirable.