Data Manager (Consultant)
Pretoria (South Africa)
Terms of Reference for COVID-19 data manager at provincial level in South Africa
Purpose of the Position:
To provide technical support to the COVID-19 in Data Management for the response team at the provincial level.
Objectives of the Programme:
The spread of the COVID-19 in South Africa is starting to decrease in some provinces and increasing in others. To have an early warning system in place granular data and mapping need to be done to identify areas where the response need to be intensified. Data is needed to inform the response and thus should be managed in an responsible way. At the same time, its scale and complexity is placing enormous demands on the health system and communities.
Its successful containment requires working with the epidemiologist for surveillance, reporting and analysis and mapping to inform the province’s response.
Data management has been identified as an important support for surveillance and reporting for the COVID-19 response. To support the already on going provincial data management, WHO Country Office in South Africa, is seeking to employ on a temporary basis for a period of three months only, persons with relevant experience.
In collaboration with the Province under the supervision of the WHO Country Office the following activities will be conducted:
Summary of assigned duties
1. Work with surveillance and epidemiology to map (GIS) and do graphics with data
2. Support the regular production of information products such situation reports (SitReps)
3. Coordinate with technical areas and Logistics to capture and centralize resource status information
4. Ensure that the information system is functional
5. Support field workers and ensure that they are trained
6. Undertake to do mapping
7. Ensure timely dissemination of information with relevant stakeholders
8. Ensure proper documentation of all information related to the incident
Competencies (Min 3 Max 5)
1. Communicating in a credible and effective way
2. Producing results
3. Fostering integration and teamwork
4. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Education and special training
University degree in IT/Data management or other related areas
Experience (length and type)
Extensive experience (minimum of at 5 years) in database design and management, mapping, monitoring and evaluation of captured data, checking for missing data and supporting teams working in the field. Should be able to establish relationships with Government and partners at provincial level.
Knowledge, abilities and skills
Proven knowledge and skills in: database design and management, mapping, monitoring and evaluation of captured data, checking for missing data and supporting teams working in the field; excellent interpersonal skills; strong organizational skills; and an ability to work effectively in multicultural environment with tact and diplomacy. Knowledge of WHO, the UN System or NGO work in the field of response relief and/or of their practices and procedures.
English: English and one language spoken in the province.
Duration: 3 months
Working Arrangements: Be flexible to work in all Provinces
Grade : NOB