Director, External Relations and Partnerships
The Department of External Relations and Partnerships is responsible for the planning, coordination, implementation and evaluation of IDLO’s external relations agenda, communicationsand partnerships building through strategies and activities to promote, protect and enhance IDLO’s mission and brand.
The Department actively promotes and advocates for IDLO’s strategic priorities with governments, the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, civil society, the private sector, philanthropic organizations, academia, and other potential partners at national, regional and international levels. It collaborates with all entities within IDLOto promote the Organization’s policy advocacy priorities. It supports IDLO’s program and program development teams and country offices to ensure that communications, partnership engagements,resource mobilization and other outreach activities are coherent and integrated in IDLO’s activities around the world.It builds and maintains innovative and productive partnerships, ensures best practices in communication and resource mobilization, and supports the governance mechanisms of the Organization.
The Directorof External Relations and Partnerships reports to and supports the IDLO Director-General in carrying out her responsibilities. Within the overall strategic vision and direction set by the Director-General, the Director will provide overall supervision of the Department and provide leadership within the Organization, including as a member of the Organization’s Senior Leadership Team.
The incumbentwill be delegated relevant responsibilities in the following areas:
- Oversee and manage the overall external relations and partnerships work of the Department, including leadership, supervision and motivation of colleagues leading communications, partnerships and governance, resource mobilization and other external relations functions;
- Develop, and ensure the effective and efficient implementation, monitoring and evaluation of innovative external relations strategies and activities across the organization in collaboration with relevant departments, offices and entities;
- Lead in building institutional relationships and partnerships in line with IDLO’s partnership strategy,map and expand networks of stakeholders and collaboration to position IDLO as atrusted intergovernmentalpartner and contributor in the areas of international development, rule of lawand access to justice;
- Ensure that IDLO’s external communications and content on corporate channels (website, social media, mailings) align with institutional objectives, strategy and political sensitivities and manage reputational risk.
- Lead the development of IDLO’s publications, including organizational reports, online, multi-media, other digital and printcommunications materials, and other relevant documentation, and monitor and assess the impact of communication materials in delivering IDLO’s key messages and partnership building;
- Support the Director-General in her accountability to IDLO Governing Bodies, including by ensuringeffective and efficient planning, organization,and conveningof governing body meetings, and high quality and timely reports, inputs and other documentation for IDLO Governing Bodies;
- Establish and maintain active and productive relationships with governments, the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, civil society, the private sector, philanthropic organizations, academia, and other potential partners at national, regional and international levels.
- Engage the donor community and funding partners to enhancethe strength and diversity of IDLO’s political and financial support, and mobilize increased resources for the Organization and in support of the rule of law and justice sectorsat international, regional and country levels;
- Ensure the design and successful implementation of high-visibility outreach strategies and events relevant to advancing IDLO’s vision and programmatic work, and the rule of law and access to justice more broadly;
- Represent IDLO in external eventsand meetings with stakeholders to promote IDLO’s mission and support the achievement of its goals and objectives;
- Advise the Director-General and Senior Leadership Team on strategies to mobilize interest in the rule of law and justice and engagement with IDLO among senior officials in government, international organizations, civil society and the private sector and to promote, advocate and mobilize political will and support to ensure that the rule of law and access to justice remain high on global, regional and national agendas;
- Ensure that advocacy, communication and outreach strategies are integrated effectively into all aspects of IDLO’s programs, from the design and proposal stage to project implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- EnhanceIDLO’s internal communications function through the provision of strategic advice and thedevelopment of relevant strategies and the design and delivery of high-qualityinternal communications tools and products;
- Serve as a member of the IDLO Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the definition and implementation of IDLO’s vision and strategy;
- Develop, oversee, monitor and evaluate the implementation of an annual program of work and budget for the Department.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and Professional Experience
- Advanced university degree in International Relations, Development Studies, Political Science, Law,or otherrelated field;
- Minimum 15 years of experience in relevant senior positions of increasing scope and responsibility, including leadership experience in external relations in international development, rule of law and justice, human rights, humanitarian, or other relevant sectors;
- Proven track record in the field ofinternational development and demonstrated commitment to the rule of law and justice;
- Strong professional networks to drive partnership building, media presence/visibility and resource mobilization;
- Relevant experience and public presence to work with officials at a senior level in partner organizations;
- Field experience would be an asset.
- Outstanding written and verbal skills in English.Knowledge ofFrench or Spanishwould be desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Technical Competencies
- Strong leadership and management skills and competencies.
- Collaborative approach and excellent team-building capacities.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong commitment to gender equality, cultural diversity and inclusive approaches
- Proven ability to deliver high-quality and timely results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Willingness to travel, including to countries in conflict situations,when necessary.
- Proficiency in all relevant technologies.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate and values.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
For this internationally recruited position, IDLO will offer the selected candidate a Professional Fixed-Term Contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding, at an annual basic salary of EUR €105,400, a leave and benefit package, including home leave, provident fund, and health insurance in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation, installation, expatriate and educational allowances are also available for internationally recruited employees in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
Salaries paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.