Common Service Associate
The Common Services Associate will work under the overall guidance of UN Country Team (UNCT), through the Chair of the Operations Management Team (OMT) and the direct day-to-day supervision of the UNDP Operations Manager. The incumbent is responsible for managing UN common premises and services including financial management.
The CSA will promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and work in close collaboration with the OMT and UN Coordination Officer and all operations personnel in all UN Agencies in Eritrea to implement common services-related programmes, exchange information and ensure timely delivery of services to various clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure management of cost-effective common services and implement the UNCT approved activities focusing on:
- Review services under Common Services and provide technical advice and ways forward to enhance cost efficiency and effectiveness on an annual basis or as required.
- Collaborate and coordinate with ICT team, Local Security Assistant and agency Operations staff on the management of security services, common buildings and maintenance services.
- Support further harmonization of services and mainstreaming under common services as guided by UNCT, such as the establishment of a common vehicles pool in the future.
- Serve as a Secretariat for OMT: calling for meetings, taking minutes and archiving key OMT docs.
2. Contribute to the efficient management of financial resource and management of common services, including asset management focusing on:
- Coordinate with UNDP Finance Team and prepare Common Services budget following the agreed pro-rated criteria and after endorsement by OMT share the memo with other agencies (memo signed by UN Resident Coordinator).
- Keep proper budget records of contributions made by each UN agency for various budget lines (e.g. UN Dispensary and Security) and regularly advice the OMT Chair and UNDP Operations manager on outstanding contributions for follow-up with UN agencies.
- Process payments and ensure availability of supporting documents in full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and follow-up on exceptions.
- Prepare annual expenditure report and share with agencies and ensure accurate contribution balance, and follow-up on implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Support the preparation of the various MOUs and cost-sharing agreements for common services and premises.
- Ensure procurement of various equipment and safeguard common UN assets in collaboration with the UN agencies’ Procurement Units and UNDP Asset Focal Point.
- Ensure smooth functioning of the electrical, plumbing and other common equipment in the UN premises.
3. Oversee outsourced common services and promote excellent client relationships and manage networks.
- Share with agencies communication related to common services and receive feedback and report on actions taken.
- In close collaboration with OMT ensure further integration and harmonization of common services.
- Maintain strong relations with external partners such as public services providers, Government and other UN agencies.
- Manage liaison with the landlord of the UN Compound; monitor and manage performance of common services staff and outsourced services procured under Common Services funding and ensure timely contract renewal and extension
- Ensure the cleanliness of the UN Compound premises by monitoring performance of cleaners/gardeners.
- Ensure the greening of the UN Compound premises in collaboration with the OMT and other relevant UN staff.
4. Facilitate information, communication and knowledge management and sharing good practices where applicable.
- Share information related to Common Services Management to all clients in a timely manner.
- Identify good practices concerning Common Services Management and ensure application of good practices, to the extent possible.
- Establishment and adherence to minimum service level standards
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to contract, asset and procurement management, including screening, collecting and preparation of documentation, data processing, preliminary bids evaluation, filing, provision of information, control of assets
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored personality even under pressure and/or during challenging situations
Required Skills and Experience
Education: University Degree in social science, economics, business administration (finance, accounting, Marketing) is essential. Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement would be desirable.
Experiences: Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in facilities maintenance/management is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in the English language.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.