Communications Office “SDG-Aligned Budgeting to Transform Employment in Mongolia” project
Ulan Bator (Mongolia)
The project “SDG-Aligned Budgeting to Transform Employment in Mongolia” aims to support increased employment and promotion of decent work in Mongolia. The Project plans to achieve its goal by conjoining two main streams of activities: i) enabling and promoting employability in Mongolia via direct interventions and policy improvements, and ii) improving the public finance management systems to absorb results-oriented, effective and evidence-based policies and budget initiatives in employment and labour sectors.
The project will be implemented in close coordination with the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Labour and Social Protection, National Development Agency, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Light Industry, Ministry of Education and Science, General Agency on State Inspection, as well as Mongolian Employers’ Federation, Confederation of Mongolian Trade Unions, industry representatives and civil society organizations.
The project will start in October 2020 and run until the end of 2023. The project is funded by the European Union (EU), and will be implemented jointly by UNDP, FAO, and ILO. The project has the following four components:
Component A: Bridging Policies with Budgets
Component B: Budget Oversight and Transparency
Component C: Employment Promotion: Boosting Employability
Component D: Effective Application of International Labour Standards by Strengthening Institutions of Work
For more information about the Project, please refer to the Project Document.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Communications Officer is responsible for implementing strategies for communication and outreach for the Project ensuring the direction of project activities related to advocacy and communication and the achievement of project targets and results. The Coomunications Officer promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations and works in close collaboration with the Project Implementing Unit (PIU) and the Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Develop and implement project outreach plan and activities and disseminate information through an effective use of different media channels;
- Increase public awareness on the importance of SDG-aligned budgeting in increasing and promoting decent employment in Mongolia with all key stakeholders and beneficiaries;
- Prepare and publish various types of outreach and advocacy materials.
General responsibilities and duties:
· Develop and plan communication and outreach strategy, action plan for the project in compliance with UNDP and European Union brand guidelines and requirements;
· Lead the implementation of communication activities specific to the Project ensuring the projects visibility and clarity of messaging to the public and targeted audiences;
· Prepare and publish relevant knowledge contents including briefing materials, human-interest stories, infographics, high-resolution photos, videos, speeches and press releases in coordination with the supervisor and UNDP Communications Analyst to increase public awareness;
· Disseminate information on project outcome via project social media channels, and other platforms and media channels;
· Responsible for designing and printing promotional items, training and workshop packages, project reports and knowledge products and/or liaise with contractors on those;
· Coordinate the creation and revision of promotional videos and publications of success stories on project beneficiaries at the demo project sites, while organizing the entire production process while ensuring UNDP advocacy guidelines are applied;
· Prepare communication and media coverages from the project activities including trainings, workshops, meetings, stakeholder consultation and site visits etc., those to be documented and submitted along with communication and follow-up/monitoring reports;
· Maintain excellent working partnership with the media institutions at the international, national and local level for the promotion of the project;
· Perform media monitoring, and feature stories within tight timeframes as needed;
· Develop and maintain photo and video library and information database of the project;
· Perform other tasks as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Zero tolerance for any harassment i.e. any type of offensive behavior, words and actions, including sexual and psychological harass ment, bullying, etc.
Management and Leadership
- Good managerial and leading skills;
- Demonstrate strong coordination and organizational skills;
- Ability to work as a part of a team, sharing information and coordinating efforts within the team;
- Consistently approaches to work with energy and a positive and constructive attitude;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Good communication skill both in writing and oral including networking and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to persuade and influence others to cooperate.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Proven ability to build strong relations with partners, clients for positive feedback;
- Ability to undertake and apply gender analysis to ensure gender equitable solutions
- Build, coordinate and advise on strategic and programmatic partnership.
- Facilitate the engagement of major stakeholders or groups in environment and sustainable development decision making, their access to and sharing of information for effective compliance.
- Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively and demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Willing to undertake other assignments as provided by the Head of the Facility.
- Proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives,
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support,
- Drives for change and improvements,
- Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation,
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision,
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them,
- Proposes a course of action based on all available information,
- Checks assumptions against facts.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in public policy, journalism, communications, or international relations.
- A minimum three (3) years (with Masters’ degree), or minimum five (5) years (with Bachelors’ degree) of relevant experience in public policy, journalism, communications, or international relations;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in project management, with focus on communication, advocacy and team coordination;
- Proven track-record of communications and media management skills, and a solid record of managing complex and challenging partnerships with governments and international partners within a multilateral setup.
- Experience in the social development sector would be an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Mongolian;
ICT skills requirements
- Excellent command of MS office applications, web-based management information systems, development of info graphics, video and photo editing programs.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.