Research and Learning Manager (Internationally recruited)
The Hague (Netherlands)
IDLO conducts timely, focused and comprehensive research on rule of law and sustainable development-related issues, including access to justice, legal empowerment, gender, climate change and the environment, just to mention some. Through research, IDLO’s publications contribute to existing practice and scholarship on priority issues, and serve as a conduit for the global exchange of ideas, good practices, and lessons learned. IDLO produces a variety of professional publications covering country-specific as well as interdisciplinary, thematic, regional, and global issues. IDLO’s Research Unit brings substantial experience in managing complex multi-country research programs, collaborating with local partners, and coordinating teams of national and international researchers.
Under the supervision of the Director of Policy, Research and Learning and in close cooperation with other Departments, the Research and Learning Manager will be expected to:
1. Manage the overall research function, including taking the lead in the production of thematic reports on various topics of strategic interest:
- Manage and/or lead complex research projects across various IDLO departments;
- Draft, review and provide input into a variety of research reports and research-related project documents including concept notes, project budget and donor reports, conference papers, lessons learned briefs, policy briefs;
- Provide technical and substantive input into thematic and flagship IDLO reports on topics of strategic interest for the organization;
- Provide research support for institutional and policy activities;
- Develop and maintain relations with key research stakeholders and interlocutors to build networks and share lessons learned;
- Act as the focal person for all research-related matters within IDLO, including engagement with IDLO Country Offices and other internal stakeholders to help integrate research in project design and implementation;
- Supervise and coordinate research consultants when required; encourage initiative and innovation as defined in cooperation with supervisor.
2. Coordinate IDLO’s knowledge generation function:
- Support internal learning initiatives such as webinars, internal learning workshops, etc.
- Lead the in-house research quality control process (Knowledge Pipeline), in coordination with Program and Strategic Communications teams, performing all reviews and classifications;
- As requested by the supervisor, participate in and represent IDLO at conferences and external events.
- Perform any other similar duties as may be requested by the supervisor.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law, Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies, or other related field is required;
- Minimum 8 (eight) years of significant relevant professional experience within an international organization or global international NGO, preferably within the area of rule of law, access to justice and human rights;
- Minimum 5 (five) years of team management experience;
- Proven experience in managing complex research projects and publication processes;
- Solid experience in/deep understanding of current development and rule of law-related themes, with a focus on sustainable development, access to justice and human rights;
- Relevant experience in program/project development and research in a multilateral organization is an asset.
- Native level oral and professional (legal) writing skills in English are essential. Strong command of rule of law-related terminology is desirable.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic would be an asset.
Specific Knowledge / Skills / Competencies
- Excellent written, oral presentation, communication and networking ability and skills.;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT software and internet software;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working in a diverse professional environment. Shares information, contributes, encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities;
- Ability to work effectively across and within organizational boundaries;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability and willingness to travel even to high-conflict countries, if necessary;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS and CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited professional position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate a Fixed Term Contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall offer a basic salary of Euro 64,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications, and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical insurance, leave entitlements including home leave in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.