Finance Specialist in UNDP project
- Development of long-term strategies at the local level dealing with formulation of approaches and concrete activities aimed at increasing employment, in particular through participatory analysis of opportunities and bottlenecks for economic development in project districts; identification of existing issues and development of potential solutions and definition of the roles of all stakeholders;
- Building “eco-systems” to support economic activities, including measures to improve legislative framework and the stakeholders’ capacity with a focus on support to development of SMEs and EASIs;
- Providing access to new financial mechanisms at the local level to enable the development of SMEs and EASIs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Full compliance with respective UNDP and donor rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations;
- Advise all project counterparts on applicable financial procedures and ensure their proper implementation;
- Implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Implement the control mechanism through monitoring the budget lines and budget/funds balance, preparation of modifications as required;
- Contribute to preparation of periodic plans and financial reports required by relevant UNDP, national and/or donor procedures for project, donors, government and other parties involved in implementation and funding of activities;
- Liaise with the UNDP Country Office to request funds transfer, verify financial reports, budget revisions, receipts of contributions.
- Ensure proper control of the supporting documents for payments;
- Ensure timely submission of financial reports to the UNDP Country Office/donor/national partners and verify the accuracy of such reports;
- Prepare and timely submit payment requests with proper support documentation to the UNDP Country Office;
- Provide financial monitoring over project commitments and expenditures and assist the Project Manager in assuring proper project delivery;
- Ensure compliance with appropriate operational and financial closure procedures, subject to the incumbent's mandate and authority;
- Perform cash custodian's duties being primarily responsible for project’s cash disbursements and maintain project’s petty cash book.
- Provide full-cycle support to disbursement of financial support instruments and processing of reports in line with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Ensure the use of correct contract templates, verifies them against UNDP rules and procedures, monitors the changes in respective policies, procedures, templates and timely informs respective project staff thereof;
- Receive from respective project staff a full package of documents, required for financing the initiative;
- Verify the completeness of the documents according to the check list. In case the documents package is not full, contacts project personnel and makes respective inquires;
- Review the Work Plan and Budget of each initiative and verifies them against the Project Document, Contest Regulations and other related guidelines;
- Verify the budget figures are correct and appropriate exchange rates are applied;
- Monitor the signing of the Contract, Work Plan and Budget by all parties involved; ensures all cash transfer approvals are received;
- Ensure timely cash transfers to the selected initiatives, verifies data correctness in Atlas;
- Monitor deadlines for submission of the initiatives reports and informs projects thereof;
- Review the reporting documents for each initiative and their completeness as well as their compliance with the signed Work Plans and Budgets; leads the amendments, if necessary, in line with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Ensure completeness of all assets transfer processes and procedures;
- Ensure timely contract extensions where necessary;
- Manage archives with all initiatives;
- Consult the project personnel and funds recipients on related UNDP rules and procedures, provides a brief overview of the national legislation related to financial support instruments for initiatives;
- Participate in trainings for project personnel and funds’ recipients;
- Assist in resolving issues, related to financial support instrument for initiatives, if required;
- Participate in development of Guidelines and other programme documents related to financial support instrument for initiatives;
- Prepare the respective reports on the financing of the initiatives for the UNDP Country Office and/or the Headquarters, when required.
- Job knowledge and technical expertise: knows and understands how to perform finance-related and accounting work; financial and budgeting skills; ability to manage complex data; monitor and analyze budgets; attentiveness to details; is an expert in the usage of Excel spreadsheets and other MS software packages; analyses data and gives advice; eager to learn and implement new policies and procedures;
- Communication: listens to develop awareness of clients needs, respects difference of opinion, finds common ground to solve problems; demonstrates behaviours such as teamwork, maintaining relationships, recognizes potential blocks to completing tasks and seeks guidance from supervisors to address issues;
- Delivery: takes responsibility for addressing situations within the scope of duties, performs tasks accurately and in an organized manner taking into consideration special assignments, deadlines, available resources; plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines;
- Leadership: identifies opportunities and challenges and recommends options; assumes responsibility for decisions and outcomes; determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solutions; anticipates obstacles and applies solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Economics or Business Administration or Accounting or Auditing or Finance;
- At least 3 years of proven experience in finance;
- Master’s degree in Economics or Finance is an asset;
- Experience in international organizations is an asset;
- Previous relevant experience in development/international technical assistance projects is an asset;
- Advanced knowledge of MS software packages (Excel, MS Word, Power Point etc.);
- Fluency in English and Russian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.