Re-advertisement - ICT Analyst
As part of the UN country team in Sudan, UNDP aims to contribute to the significant reduction of extreme poverty throughout the country and to support the establishment of a critical mass among Sudan’s people that is ready and able to engage in the development process of the country. In line with the overarching SDG goal “Leave No One Behind” (embedded among others in SDGs 1, 5,10 and 13) UNDP Programme interventions will target localities characterized by high levels of poverty and exclusion and / or affected by conflict.
Country office vision is to strengthen resilience and prompt inclusive sustainable development in Sudan. This vision is fully aligned with UNDP’s corporate Strategic Plan as well as with the UNDAF currently being developed and embedded in the global SDG framework.
To that end, UNDP will support stabilization and governance for peace as well as environmentally sustainable development. UNDP pays attention to the inclusion of marginalized groups, including women and youth representing the most promising potential for change in Sudan.
With an annual average delivery of approximately US$ 100 million over the past 5 years, the Sudan Country Office is managing one of the largest portfolios in the region of Arab states. The portfolio is composed of three pillars: the UNDP core portfolio (US$ 30 million), the Global Fund portfolio (US$ 20 million) and the Managing Agent portfolio related to the Common Humanitarian Fund and the Darfur Community Peace and Stability Fund (US$ 30 million).
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the DRR(O), the ICT Analyst manages ICT services, develops and implements ICT management systems, provides information management tools and technology infrastructure for the Sudan CO. The ICT Analyst is responsible for review of and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the CO productivity. The ICT Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach.
The ICT Analyst heads the ICT Team and supervises staff in the team as well as the quality of outsourced ICT services. S/he works in close collaboration with the Front Office, Programme and Operations teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff. S/he liaises and coordinates actions with HQ designated focal points for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies
- Development of information and documentation management system
- Management of CO hardware and software packages
- Networks administration
- Provision of web management services
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of ICT strategies and introduction and implementation of new technologies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Analysis of the requirement and elaboration of internal policies and procedures on the use of ICT.
- Coordination of the CO ICT business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in ICT management, control of the workflows in the ICT team.
- Participation in the office business process re-engineering activities and ensure that business needs drive IT solutions related to corporate resource management.
- Conduct of market research and analysis, and introduction of new technology for country office system updating and improvement. Work with solutions providers and ICT experts, in overall, ensuring ICT services continuity and full use of ICT tools and facilities, and that recovery for all stalled ICT tools and equipment is within acceptable time interval.
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new ICT equipment for the CO and projects, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets. Provision of technical inputs for the development of long-term agreements related to ICT services to streamline processes and deliverables.
- Development and update of the ICT annual plan and road map. Development and update of the business continuity plan, disaster recovery plan, ICT infrastructure and training plans. Follow up on their implementation.
- Provision of support to the use of Atlas (UNDP’s implementation of PeopleSoft ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Leadership and technical guidance of the ICT team for effective and client-oriented services, ensuring the timely and accurate delivery of expected results.
- Timely response to audit queries and implementation of audit findings/recommendations.
2. Ensures development of information and documentation management system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development and implementation of CO information and documentation management system in accordance with UNDP policy and the country office needs.
- Support business intelligence tools and other executive information systems for data analysis and reporting,
- Based on existing platforms, develop procedures for extraction of programme and finance data for further analysis and reporting.
3. Manages CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that CO hardware and software platforms meet the UNDP corporate standards and the CO key business processes.
- Provision of advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies
- Supervision of the implementation of corporate UNDP systems.
- Development of new software for high impact results (e.g. office management system, e- registry, intranet, etc).
4. Ensures efficient networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of the computing resources to provide a stable and responsive environment.
- Operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes establishing directories, menus and drive-mappings, configuring network printers and providing user access.
- Monitoring of backup and restoration procedures for both server and local drives.
- Timely upgrade of LAN infrastructure and Internet connectivity to meet UNDP requirements.
- Provision of technical advice on network administration to other agencies as required and monitoring preparation of bills for cost-recovery for the services provided.
5. Provides web management services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency (e.g. office management systems, donor profile software, knowledge management systems).
- Creation and monitoring technical maintenance of the CO websites, e-portal and Intranet.
- Provision of technical advice on web management to other agencies as required and monitoring
- preparation of bills for cost-recovery for the services provided.
6. Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, information provision.
- Support the development and implementation of executive information systems ensuring they are consistent with the ICT strategy
- Facilitate staff access to and utilization of UNDP’s collaborative learning platforms
- Organization of training for the operations/projects staff on ICT issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices directly linked to ICT management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking ICT management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Ability to persuade others to follow: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models independent thinking and action.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts: Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis: Generate new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things. Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline: Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position. Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks. Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work. Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals. Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning. Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Basic research and analysis: Demonstrate ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems: Maintains information/databases on system design features. Develops simple system components: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Establishing effective client relationships: Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion. Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines. Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Basic monitoring: Gathers, analyses and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information systems, Information Management, Computer Science or related discipline.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) is required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
2 years with a Master’s degree or 4 years with a Bachelor’s degree of relevant working experience, including development and implementation of ICT strategies, management and supervision of ICT services and teams, hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications, experience in web design and development of web-based office applications.
Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.