Budget Specialist - GCP
Panama (United States of America)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation and follow up of project budgets and Annual Workplans.
- Prepare and submit budget revisions for Project Manager review and approval.
- Implementation of efficient budget control mechanisms to ensure that projects utilize the available financial resources in an efficient and transparent manner, and that all financial activities are carried out on schedule and within budget to achieve project outputs.
- Support the update of information in the Corporate Planning System and Atlas Project Management Module.
- Support with financial information for donor reporting.
- Support to the M&E team with budget implementation, delivery rates and any other requirement for quarterly reports, project boards, quality assesments.
- Prepare GLJE´s for funds transfers to countries and/or responsible parties.
- Support audit processes for assigned programme and projects.
- Presentation of information for formulation of country projects work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities.
- Support country teams on budget revisions and adequate upload of finance information in the Atlas Project Management Module.
- Provision of guidance to the responsible parties on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Accuracy verification of Combined Delivery Reports on a quarterly and yearly basis. Conduct monthly oversight of expenditures with country teams.
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
- Preparation of budget, delivery, execution and other reports as needed.
- Support with the preparation of Financial Plans and Forecast of the Programme.
- Support with the preparation and review of budgets for proposals and new initiatives.
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports.
- Maintenance of internal expenditures control system which ensures that transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Tracking and reporting of mobilized resources
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Follow-up with partners on contributions.
- Provide chartfields for payments of DPC, travel, others.
- Support any other operational activity as needed.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN´s valued and ethical standards
- Promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats people fairly without favoritism
- Demonstrated ability in the financial and operational management of projects and liasing and cooperating with governments officials, NGO´s, donors, etc.
- Maintaining information and databases
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures.
- Well organized
- Solution oriented and analytical
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment
- Promoting team work
- Client oriented
Required Skills and Experience
- Master in finance, Accounting, Business, Public Administration, or related fields is a mandatory requirement.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible budget management experience is required.
- Experience in Project management is desirable.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems. Experience in ATLAS is an advantage.
- Previous experience working in UNDP and GEF projects is considered an asset
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only those candidates from the short list will be contacted.
This ad is open only to Panamanian citizens or foreign persons with residence and valid work permit to work in the country.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment; therefore this position is open for Panamanian citizens or non-nationals with permanent residence and valid work permit only.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.