Chief Technical Advisor - Elec
- Fortalecer la eficiencia y credibilidad del sistema electoral con un enfoque de mejora continua.
- Fomentar la participación ciudadana con un enfoque de inclusión, responsabilidad y paz.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading the Electoral Assistance Team, ensures the strategic direction focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Stimulate strategic thinking in electoral management and processes and bring best practices on electoral management in fulfilling aspirations of the national electoral management bodies’ Strategic Plan, Electoral Timelines and Project Document(s);
- Advises national electoral management bodies (EMBs) and UNDP on all aspects of sound electoral cycle management practices and point out areas for further strengthening;
- Provide intellectual and substantive leadership in managing issues related to electoral management and processes;
- Provide technical advice to the EMBs and other partners to help meet the needs for credible and inclusive elections;
- Ensure highest standards in the provision of technical and advisory inputs, organization of workshops, seminars, training and delivery of outputs;
- In conjunction with relevant UN agencies, funds and programmes (AFPs), identify strategic entry points for gender mainstreaming in the work of EMBs and for the empowerment of women and other marginalized groups in political processes.
- Assess the technical substance, policies and strategies on elections and advises on the design, organization and implementation of project(s) activities, exercising political savviness;
- Coordinates the conduct of any studies/reviews/analysis on conflict, gender, human rights and other dimensions related to elections and their discussions with national electoral institutions and UNDP;
- Capacity development oversight will be provided by the CTA in the following areas:
- Play a leading role in the development and implementation of a capacity development strategy for the project(s) that identifies priorities, needs and interventions to address needs within EMBs
- Provide support to EMBs in ensuring the sustainability of project(s) management capacities and in building sustainability into project(s) activities from the outset;
- Provide technical advice to enhance the capacity of EMBs’ directorates in their role of conducting a credible election;
- Contribute to development of effective materials and training for national electoral institutions and other national stakeholders where relevant;
- Advice on development of strategies and contribute to capacity building efforts for national electoral institutions, CSOs, media and other elections stakeholders;
- Ensures effective project management and achievement of the following results:
- In coordination with EMBs, provide guidance to national and international short-term experts/consultants;
- Assist EMBs in ensuring technical soundness of project(s) activities;
- Provide substantive advisory input, as requested by EMBs and UNDP in relation to project(s) objectives;
- Guides the project management team on coherence of interventions under the project(s) in order to ensure technical soundness of project(s) activities;
- Provide expert contributions to the development of periodic results-based work plans and results frameworks;
- Ensure delivery of relevant periodic project(s) reporting to UNDP, donors and other stakeholders;
- Facilitate continued close cooperation with funding partners, keeping them abreast of the progress, results, challenges etc.
- Lead the elaboration and reviews of Terms of Reference for specific activities and assist in the identification of short-term experts;
- Ensures the alignment of project(s) activities with UNDP rules and regulations by providing appropriate advice to national electoral institutions in this regard;
- Ensures strategic partnership, coordination and resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Act as resource person on election policies and strategies, if required, for the international development community;
- Analyzes information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation and identifies opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Mobilizes and networks with experts in the international development community, government partners, UN organizations and appropriate think-tanks. Develop and maintain productive relations with partners;
- Prepares proposals for mobilization of human, technical or financial resources from international development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector;
- Provide project specific Monitoring and Evaluation Oversight focusing on achieving the following results:
- Advises the project(s) on design and follow up on a sound project(s) monitoring framework for the project(s) to be integrated within the monitoring system for the Corporate/Strategic Plan;
- Advises EMBs on strengthening M&E systems as defined in the strategic plan of the organization;
- Ensure the design of monitoring frameworks demonstrates progress and achievement on key project(s) results, and provide technical advice to develop baselines and indicators for monitoring and evaluation;
- Advises the PMU on preparing project(s) reports focused on capturing results, lessons learned and good practices;
- Communication and Knowledge Sharing on achieving the following results:
- Promote the adoption of suitable knowledge management approaches as relating to project(s) activities and in support of national electoral institutions’ strengthening;
- Support the national electoral institutions in the internal and external communication efforts and the dissemination of information around project(s) objectives and activities;
- Support the project(s) and UNDP in communicating to its stakeholder including development partners on all aspects of project(s) implementation;
- Function as a mentor and coach to PMU staff in support of achievement of project(s) results;
- Participate in and contribute to global UNDP knowledge networks on electoral assistance;
- Ensure the application of relevant global good practices and actively search for solutions that can benefit Honduras’ electoral processes.
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects.
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration.
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in Social Sciences, Development, Political Sciences, (Public) Administration, Management or other relevant fields;
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience in senior programme/project management in the field of electoral processes;
- Sound experience in the provision of electoral assistance within the electoral cycle approach, including but not limited to budgeting, electoral staff management, design and/or procurement of electoral materials, logistics, electoral technology, public outreach, strategic communication, public relations, legal and political affairs, training and gender mainstreaming and inclusion.
- Experience in programme management within the United Nations System or in an international organization;
- Good knowledge of the political environment, administration of developing countries;
- Good knowledge on the organization of electoral processes in Latin America;
- Good knowledge on the management of the electoral processes during and post conflict;
- Capacity to engage with high level officials, including local high level political and administrative officials, as well as donors from the international community;
- Have previously worked in a similar position in the framework of multi donor electoral assistance projects demonstrating excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Experience on leading conflict prevention projects will be considered an asset.
- Fluency (native or near native level) in both Spanish and English (written and spoken) is mandatory. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.