Global Senior Technical Specialist - ICT4D in Agriculture
|Vacancy Announcement Number||1960|
|Date of Issue||10/11/2020|
|Deadline for Applications||01/12/2020|
|Organizational Unit||Sust. Prd. Mkts. & Instit.|
|Duty Station||Field Based|
|Duration of Assignment||2 years|
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD) provides expert guidance on IFAD’s strategic direction, thematic priorities and technical quality of IFAD’s operations. It plays a critical role in providing technical expertise to operational teams to enhance development effectiveness, by generating and disseminating IFAD’s development knowledge and evidence on strategic themes, and encouraging innovative application of cutting-edge global knowledge and evidence in IFAD investments to support countries tackle their most complex development challenges in fostering inclusive and sustainable rural transformation. SKD is composed of the (i) Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG); the (ii) Sustainable Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI); and the (iii) Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA).
PMI provides technical support to IFAD Country Programs to ensure the proper application of corporate quality standards required for achieving development results and impact in key thematic areas, including food production systems (i.e. fisheries, livestock, and agronomy), land, natural resources management, water and rural infrastructure, financial services, rural markets and enterprises and rural institutions. It contributes to the generation of evidence and knowledge on these themes, and facilitates their use in IFAD projects and activities.
The Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture is an information and communication technologies for development (ICT4D) professional with strong experience in implementing ICT solutions in the area of agriculture and rural development including in the context of markets/value chains, rural finance and agritech projects. S/he technically supports the corporate agenda and country/regional programs by providing state-of-the-art technical support throughout the project cycle (strategic and operational). The accountabilities/key results expected include:
- IFAD ICT4D Strategy Plan Development and Implementation
- Technical Advice to Country Programmes and current ICT4D initiatives
- Partnerships and Policy Engagement
- Knowledge Management
The Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture works under the overall strategic, policy and management guidance, and supervision of the Lead Global Technical Advisor for Rural Finance, Markets and Enterprise. As an integral member of delivery teams, s/he works collaboratively with the thematic Technical Specialists, Country Directors (CD) and other staff to ensure consistency, cohesion and synergy in the application of technical support and provision of programme development support across the globe, with a particular focus on Africa.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
The following Key Results Expected/Major Functional Activities are generic and representational; the majority of which will be performed by the Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture:
1. IFAD ICT4D STRATEGY PLAN DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION: IFAD’s ICT4D Strategy was approved by its Executive Board in December 2019. The Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture will be guided by the Strategy and action plan to lead on the implementation of prioritized activities in coordination with other relevant IFAD divisions and units, including the regional hubs.
S/he will carry forward PMI’s planned initiatives in the ICT4D sector, and will propose new initiatives and ICT4D projects that are aligned with the ICT4D strategy and action plan including the area of rural finance, markets and enterprises, as well as partnerships with the private sector.
S/he will provide technical advice on various ICT4D project proposals and initiatives that may come-up and support the corporate agenda in this sector field.
2. TECHNICAL ADVICE TO COUNTRY PROGRAMMES AND CURRENT ICT4D INITIATIVES: Based on a planning exercise undertaken jointly between PMD and SKD, and working in close collaboration with the CDs and outposted staff from PMI, the Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture provides technical advice to selected country programmes across the 5 regions in the area of ICT4D in agriculture, markets/value chain, rural finance and agritech, with a particular focus on Africa.
S/he provides technical advice in her/his area of technical expertise for the preparation of project design reports and supporting documents/annexes. S/he serves as a member of Project Design Teams (PDTs) for selected projects that require ICT4D inputs. S/he will provide technical support and propose an offering of new technologies and/or identify the tools and technologies that can be incorporated in IFAD projects/programmes. This would involve drafting technical content contributing to the project concept note and project design report, participating in design and implementation support missions to provide technical advice and input, drafting terms of reference, selecting and providing over- sight of qualified ICT4D consultants, facilitating technical inputs from other IFAD staff and/or others (e.g. centers of excellence, research institutions). S/he also provides and/or coordinates targeted technical support and peer review to other select project designs.
S/he will also support country programme teams and HQ staff that are implementing ICT4D initiatives in their portfolio (e.g. in the area of e -market platform, financial inclusion, digitization of business plans, etc.). S/he will also organize and/or contribute to training and/or capacity building activities.
3. POLICY ENGAGEMENT AND PARTNERSHIPS: The Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture develops and maintains a network of peer contacts and partners outside IFAD to keep abreast of recent developments and trends and facilitate brokering of partnerships. S/he will follow-up on existing partnership discussions with ICT companies interested in working with IFAD, as well as initiate new partnerships with relevant stakeholders, including in both the public and private sector, UN agencies, NGOs, etc.
On the basis of her/his thematic expertise and skills and working closely with the CDs, other Technical Specialists/Advisors, and the Lead Regional Economists, s/he contributes to the development of relevant technical policies and strategies linked to ICT4D. S/he also represents IFAD in technical policy fora that are of relevance in the area of technical expertise, and develops and maintains strategic technical partnerships with organizations, centers of excellence, research institutions and thematic platforms that are relevant for IFAD.
4. KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: The Global Senior Technical Specialist – ICT4D in Agriculture will contribute to the generation and dissemination of knowledge, good practices and innovations in his/her thematic area and ensure there is cross-fertilization across the 5 regions. S/he may contribute to identify qualified technical consultants to be included in a corporate roster.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Assignments require the provision of authoritative technical expertise in the field of specialization. The impact of work by the incumbent directly affects country programmes and contributes to regional and corporate policy and strategy. The impact on the overall IFAD country and regional programmes is significant in projecting the Fund’s role/capacity as a reliable, viable partner in development.
Work is intricate in that it requires consideration of a wide range of technical factors and related data. Global Senior Technical Specialists also select and provide oversight of external consultants, participate as experts in field missions and in the servicing of intergovernmental and expert group meetings of a technical nature.
Work at this level, is normally not reviewed for technical accuracy. Global Senior Technical Specialists thus exercise independence and initiative in assessing needs and advising governments when on field mission. Decisions are made on the research or analytical strategies to be followed in resolving problems of concern in the technical area. Established methods and procedures are adapted as necessary in order to achieve desired results.
Representation / Work relationships
The work relationships of Global Senior Technical Specialists involve the provision of authoritative technical advice and the negotiation and resolution of problems that arise in technical project design and appraisal, supervision/implementation support and in the preparation of studies and reports. S/he serves as an expert in his/her field of specialization and works with full technical independence in the provision of technical expertise and methodological guidance at the country level, as well as regionally as required. Contacts are with counterparts and senior officials within other United Nations organizations having related programmes and with officials of governments, non-governmental and inter-governmental organizations, research institutes and academia.
In servicing inter-governmental bodies, expert groups and other meetings, the Global Senior Technical Specialist provides technical expertise and recommendations for policy formulation and official conclusions in a consultative capacity; s/he also may provide information regarding the organization's policies, and act as the representative of the organization. Contacts are maintained to identify and evaluate emerging developments.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence (Level 1)
- Demonstrating Leadership: Leads by example; initiates and supports change (Level 2)
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Challenges, innovates and contributes to a learning culture (Level 2)
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture (Level 2)
- Problem solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact (Level 2)
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources (Level 2)
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment (Level 2)
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills (Level 2)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally (Level 2)
- Managing performance and developing staff: Manages staff and teams effectively (Level 1)
- Authoritative international technical expertise and operational experience in the area of ICT4D in agriculture with emphasis on markets/value chains, rural finance, and agritech
- Technical skills in the design and coordination of ICT4D in the context of agricultural/rural development projects and interventions and identification of innovative solutions to emerging issues.
- Ability to share technical guidance/knowledge at the governmental and peer levels as well as to inspire more junior specialists and programme staff in the development of viable programme activities.
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in in the field of specialization, e.g. System Engineer, Computer Science, Artificial intelligence, ICT, and related fields.
- At least 8 years progressively responsible experience in and demonstrated understanding of, development initiatives in the field of ICT4D in agricultural and rural development of which at least 3 of the 8 years of experience should be at the international level. Experience in international policy frameworks related to agricultural markets, financial inclusion, finance for development, and/or ICT is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, French, or Spanish) is desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD. In accordance with IFAD's Human Resources Policy, staff members are subject to the authority of the President who can decide to assign them to any of the activities of the Fund. All International Professional staff members are required to be geographically mobile and positions in the professional category are subject to changes in location at any time in line with strategic priorities and reform initiatives in IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.