Community Engagement and Outreach Officer
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Crisis Response Level: L3
- Project: Karantina Response
- Reports to: Deputy Resident Representative
- Budgeted Level: SC-7
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support efforts to establish and maintain contact with relevant interlocutors at the area level, including representatives of local authorities, as well as civil society actors, community representatives;
- Develop and enhance strong partnerships with local partners and different community groups to promote their effective participation and their support of the project’s development objectives, as well as exploring new opportunities for project growth;
- Develop and coordinate participatory consultation processes for community mobilization based on sound participatory engagement principles and relevant best practice examples;
- Collect information at the area level to feed into and inform UNDP’s people centered approach to the recovery of Karantina, including by identifying the concerns and perceptions of the local population and reporting accordingly;
- Assist in the design and coordinate the implementation of community outreach strategies, activities and tools. Produce reports on outreach activities;
- Work with the project team members to develop, update and implement a comprehensive communication strategy for the Karantina area-based approach;
- Along with the Coordinator, serve as UNDP’s liaison/focal point with the community in Karantina.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Demonstrates cultural and gender sensitivity
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Karantina area and of its population
- Focuses on impact and result
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Works collaboratively with colleagues inside and outside of UNDP to allow the achievement of common goals and shared objectives
- Displays adaptability and creativity in problem solving
- Strong networking skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in social sciences, development studies, communication, public relations or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in community outreach and engagement with a master’s degree or 4 years of experience with a bachelor’s degree
- Experience in working with International Agencies, NGOs and/or local Government in scenarios involving community participation.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position.
UNDP seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities, and that staff members are able to keep an appropriate balance between work and private life.
Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.