Project Associate/Researcher - SC6
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP Syria is committed to adapting its programming to the realities and needs of local communities across Syria. To effectively adapt its programming, UNDP seeks to, together with national stakeholders, continuously improve its understanding of key trends, dynamics and needs across Syria to identify emerging priorities and challenges. In so doing, UNDP aims to design resilience and early recovery interventions that are responsive to the needs of populations, successfully meeting their local resilience and early recovery priorities and needs.
Under the direct guidance of the Context Sensitivity Senior Advisor and the Context Analysis Project Manager, the Project Associate/ Researcher is expected to support UNDP efforts to carry out continuous analyses of key social, economic and humanitarian trends at both the national and local level to inform effective programming. He/she will contribute to UNDP efforts to have a fine-tuned and up-to-date understanding of changing local needs and dynamics across Syria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct continuous research and analysis into key social, economic and early recovery developments and trends, including through the collection of relevant data and analysis.
- Contribute to the production of regular local context analyses of areas of UNDP and UNCT operations.
- Conduct field visits to area of UNDP and UNCT operations for data collection and assessments.
- Track and monitor national and international research and analysis on resilience and early recovery programming relevant to the Syrian context.
- Conduct research and produce timely analytical products on specific issues relevant to resilience and early recovery programming in the Syrian context.
- Track and monitor key issues arising in Syrian media/ social media of relevance to resilience and early recovery programming.
- Support UNDP efforts to develop evidence-based recommendations for early recovery and resilience context sensitive programming.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Context Analysis and Risk Assessment:
- Knowledge of social and economic research, analytical tools, and risk assessment concepts.
- Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, and identify priority activities.
- Ability to allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work, and to use time efficiently.
- Ability to create internal reporting processes.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in political or social sciences or related field.
- A first-level university degree in political or social sciences or related field in combination with 3 years of qualifying experience may be accepted.
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience in information analysis, socio-economic research, or related fields is required at the national or international level.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages and experience in handling web-based management systems is required.
- Experience working in a multi-national setting with people from different cultural backgrounds is desirable.
- Excellent proficiency in English and Arabic.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.