International Consultant In Land And Water Engineering
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO Representation in Sierra Leone implements an integrated food security programme, focusing on diversification of livelihoods, managing natural resources and building resilience. The office employs diverse team of experts locally, but also attracts the available technical experts from the region and the Head Quarters (HQ). FAO works in close partnership with the Government of Sierra Leone, farmers and other stakeholders, supporting plans and policies that affect the food and nutrition security in the country; our work is a part of the corporate commitment to support countries to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030, especially SDG 2 on Zero Hunger.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Sierra Leone, the Consultant will be directly supervised by Lead Technical Officer and the project Coordinator at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
Develop the National Irrigation Master Plan for Sierra Leone, ensure timely delivery of result
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Sierra Leone and direct supervision of the of the Lead Technical Officer and Project Coordinator, the Consultant will:
- Support the preparation of the detailed project work plan in accordance with the work program in collaboration with the national counterpart and with the consultants;
- Support the work of national consultants;
- Participate in the identification of constraints (endogenous and exogenous factors) to be lifted to meet these needs;
- Evaluate short, medium and long term agricultural Irrigation technology needs in the different agro-ecological zones of the country, integrating socio-economic factors;
- Identify the strategies to be implemented in order to meet the needs of Smallholder Farmers in the agricultural sector in the long term;
- Study the impact of state intervention: taxation, subsidy, organization;
- In liaison with the FAO Representative, discuss with the main donors actions underway or planned in agricultural Irrigation; discuss the project recommendations with them;
- Participate in the necessary meetings and workshops Supervise the preparation of the detailed document of the national Irrigation Master Plan;
- Contribute to the drafting of the terminal project report and the outline of the elements of the project closing letter according to FAO rules;
- Carry out all other actions necessary to achieve the project objective
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Engineer in Land and Water or equivalent.
- Five years of relevant experience in agricultural Irrigation Technologies in the countries of Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) region.
- Working knowledge of English and knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (for Consultants). Working knowledge of English is sufficient in the case of PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in Project Management, with particular emphasis in developing countries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting stakeholder (government, private sector, civil society and local communities) to develop the capacity to develop National Action Plan
- Demonstrated capacity to develop partnerships with a range of stakeholders including donors;
- Demonstrated capacity to provide assistance in the organization of technical meetings, platforms and learning events;
- Demonstrated capacity to prepare documentation materials of work on agricultural investments and supporting Family farming initiative in Sierra Leone
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency