Chf of Multimedia Content Sec
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Senior level - P-5, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: Closed
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Chief of Multimedia Content Section
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Chief of Multimedia Content Section plays a lead role in developing and implementing the content strategy with an eye to strengthening online communications and public engagement. This entails identifying appropriate stories, messages, formats, platforms and partners in line with the key priorities and audiences for the Division of External Relations (DER). In making these judgments, the incumbent will work closely with the News and Media and Social Media Sections; and other key stakeholders across DER. The incumbent will also work closely with the Regional Bureaus, External Engagement Pillars, and Field colleagues to ensure close coordination on communications and engagement.
This role includes directly managing the photo and video units, as well as the French, English and Arabic editors; working closely with the News and Media and Social Media Sections and other teams across DER; and coordinating with other relevant actors across the organization.
The incumbent will also lead the development and refinement of platforms and workflows for content planning, production and distribution. This includes making content and editorial planning accessible to key colleagues across DER to support media relations, advocacy, awareness-raising and fundraising objectives.
In close collaboration with the Director of DER, the Head of the Global Communications Service, the Chief of News and Media Section, the Chief of Social Media Section, the Chief of Crisis Communications, the Head of Private Sector Partnerships Service, the Head of Donor Relations and Resource Mobilisation Service, the Chief of Digital Engagement Section, the Head of Brands Unit, and the Head of Events Unit, and other relevant stakeholders, the incumbent will be responsible for facilitating the development of digital content ¿ from initial conception to public engagement ¿ in line with DER's strategic priorities.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Ensure UNHCR has a content strategy that advances the organization¿s broader communications goals and maximizes engagement with priority audiences.
- Develop and manage UNHCR's external relations-related content in line with UNHCR's strategic objectives targeting clearly defined audiences, i.e. news media, governments, private donors, persons of concern, influencers, general public, etc.
- Ensure UNHCR produces effective, innovative and strategic cutting-edge digital content and platforms to inform and engage external audiences.
- Establish, through a clear consultative process, a digital content strategy for UNHCR that focuses on donors, media, general public and includes a forward-looking assessment of UNHCR's global web and social media presence; outline resources needed, expected outputs and clear implementation plans for proposed changes. Drive production of high-impact content that effectively informs and engages external audiences and supports media, fund-raising and advocacy campaigns.
- Manage the storage, distribution and archiving of photos and videos, considering the need for a self-service access and the need to assign varied levels of access to UNHCR staff, partners, journalists, scholars and other external clients.
- Establish and nurture relationships within global media partners (including news organizations, social media companies and relevant technology leaders) to strengthen UNHCR¿s content and help it find a wider audience on external platforms.
- Coordinate content development, production, and distribution in close coordination and collaboration with Social Media team.
- Participate in relevant professional meetings and events to build active relationships across the industry; represent the organization externally when required.
- Ensure high-level message and branding consistency in digital content and platforms.
- Establish clear performance and measurement metrics for content programmes to effectively inform results-based decision making and to monitor and drive the effective use of resources.
- Build a content team with required skills and define clear workflows, work plans and deliverables.
- Establish clear guidelines and training and development programmes for relevant staff to support the production and sharing of high-impact content by staff performing various external relations functions.
- Decide on and enforce UNHCR's content strategy.
- Decide on digital content for various digital channels and platforms reaching different target communities.
- Oversee development and distribution of digital content, including UNHCR's web presence.
- Allocate resources required to implement UNHCR's content strategy within the delegated authority.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Communication; Journalism; Political Science;
International Relations; Public Relations; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Minimum 12 years of relevant work experience in progressively responsible functions producing, editing and disseminating content for international audiences.
- Minimum 5 years developing, managing and evaluating online platforms for public engagement and communications in an international context.
- Ability to write and edit stories, headlines, scripts, captions and social media posts to a standard high enough for immediate publication.
- Experience in developing, managing and evaluating high-impact digital content for international audiences, including text, photo, video, multimedia and social media content.
- Proven experience of working in sensitive and fast-moving news, communications, advocacy and fundraising contexts.
- Sophisticated understanding of the digital landscape, including trends in new tools and platforms, and particularly those gaining traction among news organizations and social media.
- Proven track record in managing large social media accounts, including advanced knowledge and experience with strategy, posting, influencers and evaluation.
- Experience managing digital teams and projects and coordinating technology, information and roles.
- Extensive experience developing and rolling-out complex and creative digital projects, including varied forms of content and platforms to engage target audiences around a cause.
- Proven experience developing and successfully managing international websites, preferably with more than one content management system.
- Proven experience in delivery of digital content and online engagement in support of media relations, public awareness, advocacy and fundraising goals.
- Strong track record of managing, leading and mentoring individual staff and teams, promoting decision-making by building consensus among involved players.
- Proven ability to achieve results and implement strategies in a highly organized and action-oriented manner. Strong administrative capabilities.
- Strong diplomatic skills, highly developed political skills and judgment, understanding of UNHCR's external relationships, solid grasp of the news business, and ability to discern when the organization¿s credibility is at stake.
- Strong grasp of international issues and media landscape.
- Experience and understanding of the role of brand in building audience.
- Experience and knowledge of the principles of organisational change management.
- Experience working in an international non-profit context, or ability to demonstrate experience of an equivalent working context that required delivery of both financial and non-financial objectives.
CO-Experience reporting, writing, editing for magazines, newspapers and websites;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X002L4 - Innovation and Creativity Level 4
X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Monday 7 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: