Snr Archivist Digital Preserv
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Mid level - P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Documentation and Information Management
- Design (digital, product, graphics or visual design)
- Closing Date: Closed
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Archivist - Digital Preservation
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
UNHCR¿s Records and Archives Section runs a Digital Preservation program that should ensure that UNHCR records information in digital format with long term value is preserved, protected, and made available in the appropriate format and systems to ensure their continued authenticity and reliability, integrity and availability.
This job exists at UNHCR Headquarters and reports to the Chief of Section, Records and Archives. The role is to lead the development and implementation UNHCR¿s digital preservation program. The incumbent works in close collaboration with the other teams in the Records and Archives Section and with the Information Technology colleagues. Digital preservation is a fast-moving branch of information management and the incumbent will have to be an active member of the international digital preservation community and will be responsible to incorporate new developments in this area to the work to the Records and Archives Section. The job has a strong component of research and training. The incumbent supervises staff and consultants and leads multifunctional teams.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Guide and train colleagues working in the records and archives and other information related functions on digital preservation, the principles and new developments in the area.
- Develop and lead the implementation of a strategy for appraisal and long-term preservation of digital information for UNHCR.
- Research, select, prepare and lead the implementation of specifications for the maintenance and development of a digital preservation solution for UNHCR.
- Oversee UNHCR¿s digital preservation system.
- Develop a strategy for digitization of physical records with long term value.
- Lead Web Archives Programme.
- Coordinate and lead digital preservation related projects.
- Provide input during the elaboration of UNHCR guidance materials on digital preservation.
- Develop retention schedules to UNHCR digital information.
- Represent UNHCR in the international digital preservation community.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4 - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
*Records and Archives management;
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
A detailed knowledge of and experience with digital preservation. At least 7 years of experience in progressively responsible functions in relation to Archives or record management. A comprehensive knowledge of archival principles, functions, techniques, methods, and international standards, and of their application to electronic records and archives.
Familiarity with current digital preservation solutions. Active in the international digital preservation community.
CO-Drafting and Documentation;
IM-Digital preservation and continuity;
RC-Web Archiving implementation and management;
RC-Records and archives program implementation;
RC-Digital assets management and quality assurance;
RC-Digital archives (appraisal, standards, preservation, description);
MG-Safe and inclusive space program management;
MG-Strategy Development and Implementation;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN working language C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X002L3 - Innovation and Creativity Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Monday 7 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: