Finance Associate - Banking & Cash Management (French required)
Background Information - IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
IPAS Finance supports UNOPS Country Offices in all aspects of UNOPS finances. Our four major areas of support are:
Engagement & budgeting advisory support
Project reporting & closure advisory support
Corporate Financial reporting support
Banking & treasury support
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations. A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Summary of functions:
The incumbent will provide operational support in treasury management on the following areas:
Project cash management
Knowledge and team management
- Assist in the review of monthly reconciliations of UNOPS bank accounts to ensure compliance with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Execute payment instructions by preparing transfer orders, bank instructions and cheques for investments, treasury activities, replenishments and payments in general;
- Support the onboarding of new bank accounts (SWIFT connectivity), scenario testing, penny testing, and go-live in collaboration with ICT;
- Assist in the maintenance of the payment matrix to route and dispatch payments successfully and cost-effectively;
- Assist with the year-end closure process and in the preparation of the year end financial statements;
- Assist in monitoring and overseeing bank charges postings of HQ and field offices; establish internal control procedures to ensure their nature and proper recording.
2. Project cash management
- Assist in the review and clearance of requests for the establishment of project cash management instruments (e.g., operational advances, petty cash, credit and prepaid cards, prepayments, mobile payments and cash delivery);
- Assist in the monitoring of operational advances, petty cash accounts and prepayments;
- Support in the review of requests for establishment of petty cash accounts and operational advances;
- Review reconciliations and settlements of petty cash accounts and operational advances;
- Respond to queries from field offices related to project cash management;
- Keeps track of the operational advances, petty cash, and the related procedures and settlements along with the aging analysis.
3. Knowledge and team management
- Assist in the preparation of training to personnel on processes, rules/policies, and systems;
- Contribute to product designs and implementation;
- Recommend solutions and process efficiency initiatives;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of corporate systems and tools.
Completion of secondary / high school is required;
Higher degree (Bachelor's or Master's) in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, International Business, Management or other finance-related field is considered an asset and can be a substitute for some years of relevant working experience;
Relevant certification in financial management or accounting a distinct advantage.
Minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience (with a secondary / high school diploma) within the areas of finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required;
Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations is an asset;
Working knowledge of ERP is a plus;
Banking or project cash management experience is desirable;
Experience using single and multi bank platforms is a benefit;
Some experience in dealing with UN organizations is desirable.
Full working knowledge of English and French is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement Contract level: L-ICA 6
Contract duration: open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.