Shelter & Infrastructure Team Leader *1
Shelter & Infrastructure Team Leader *1
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
About the job
- Supervise members in Shelter team as well Deliver technical support and guidance to Shelter and Infrastructure team (shelter and cash for shelter interventions – possible future WASH and Public Infrastructure interventions)
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC and Develop and maintain good relations with relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate Implementation and coordination of DRC’s Sector activities:
- Sector responsibilities include: Provision of emergency shelter, cash for shelter, rehabilitation of housing (Durable shelter Upgrades, Critical Shelter Upgrades) as well as Delivery and distribution of sealing off kits and NFI kits as well as rehabilitation of physical infrastructure like roads, bridges, community infrastructures (health center/school), water treatment plant construction/rehabilitation/expansion, water, sewage and drainage infrastructure construction and rehabilitation, capacity building for local authorities, facilitation and funding of community development plans, initiatives for disaster risk reduction at community level.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Under the supervision of the Infrastructure and Shelter Manager, the Infrastructure and Shelter Team Leader (Shelter Team Leader) develops a workplan for the implementation of all DRC Shelter related programming in Salah Al-Din
- Lead and manage Shelter team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development) and Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of Shelter Activities under Shelter and Infrastructure team. As well as provision technical support and inputs reporting.
- Ensure daily monitoring of Area shelter and infrastructure activities as well as assessing the quality of the activities being implemented by providing technical and administrative support and inputs as well as supervision of contractors and daily workers/ Beneficiaries during construction works.
Programming & Operations and Project development:
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation in respect to budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors and management.
- Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
- Participate in updating Monthly Project Management tool and monthly work plans either directly or by providing input to PM.
- In coordination with and supervision from Project manager, the team leader is expected to participate in Developing project plans and budgets for funding, developing projects tools and ensure timely monitoring and evaluation of projects.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues including shelter cluster meetings both at national and subnational levels as well as Representing DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors (Protection, Civil society, Livelihoods…etc.).
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for people management of employee in the same area of work
- Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
- Initiating the hiring and firing of employees and conducting performance appraisals are permitted at this level, but are overseen by the next-level manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Significant proven Practical work experience in engineering (designing and/or supervising) for Shelter and/or water infrastructure and WASH construction projects with at least 3 years of Previous INGO experience implementing Shelter/WASH/Infrastructure activities.
- Minimum of 1 year of leading the planning and implementation of rehabilitation of Critical services (including Shelter, WASH infrastructure and Public Infrastructure) with a Mid-level of management experience working for an INGO or UN Agency.
- Proven technical management skills.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Proven and well-established knowledge in Modalities of Shelter based intervention (including but not limited to CASH for work and Cash for Shelter Modalities).
- Experience of working closely with local authorities to agree programming, approvals of works and collaboration in Iraq, preferably Salah Al Din.
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management.
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in site supervision and management/coordination of large teams in a challenging environment.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
- Willingness and capacity to work outside of regular working days (national holidays or extra hours) in case of emergency response.
- Ability to work sensitively with vulnerable people, taking into account gender, age and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to build a team and lead it to achieve joint objectives.
- Solution-oriented approach, with strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Proven experience of report writing in English, and drafting official letters in English and Arabic. Proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic is essential.
- Proficiency in the following computer programs: MS Excel, MS Word, AutoCAD.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Ability to act calmly in tense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Detail oriented, with ability to organize and manage information, plan and manage workload, prioritize, and deliver to deadlines.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards (e.g. WASH and Shelter standards Sphere handbook, USAID Field Operations Guide WASH and Shelter guidelines).
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
Technical and/or engineering higher qualification (e.g. university degree); significant proven field experience may be accepted in lieu.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English (fluent speaking & writing)
- Arabic (fluent speaking & writing)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 11 Months
Start date: 20 Dec 2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 6-Dec-2020
Please note: that given the urgency of vacancy the position may be filled before the due date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo