Director, Advocacy, Marketing and Communications
New York City (United States of America)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic, innovative and highly visible leadership to a high performing Advocacy, Marketing and Communications team to creatively advance the reputation, standardized public brand building and global visibility of UNDP
- World class visionary leadership in cross functional and collaborative global marketing and advocacy initiatives.
- Serves as a leading communications strategist to the UNDP Administrator and senior leadership team, working with key constituents and partners on corporate messaging, crisis and issues management and advocacy and thought leadership campaigning both internally and externally as appropriate
- Lead the development and implementation of compelling and coordinated audience engagement strategy efforts across UNDP at the global, regional and country levels, ensuring the dissemination of guidance and appropriate level of capacity building within a strong network of communications assets across the organisation.
- Strategic guidance of relevant technical teams with demonstrated knowledge of the digital landscape and hands-on leadership of social and digital, content development, and digital strategy for UNDP across multiple platforms to showcase global development impact of UNDP and its Partners.
- Works closely with data and strategic analytics team and has a demonstrated ability to synthesize and utilize research, data, trends and performance metrics relative to UNDP to provide actionable insights to ensure an optimized advocacy, marketing and communications agenda within appropriate markets
- Ensures engagement with and monitoring of the competitive media landscapes to identify press and thought leadership opportunities for UNDP Leadership and subject-matter experts, secure stories with media and ensure appearances in key strategic global events.
- Leads the development and consistent execution of an internal communications strategy on a variety of platforms in an integrated way across the organization building a culture of staff engagement and internal capacity of UNDP brand ambassadors
- Oversee the UNDP Goodwill Ambassadors programme and network of celebrities to amplify strategic messages and advocate for UNDP’s mandate.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability and experience in developing and managing a cohesive and compelling brand for an international development organisation
- Ability to define a clear communications strategy to deliver on UNDP priorities and the audience specific engagement plans
- Expertise and capabilities in market segmentation and directing targeted marketing campaigns
- Ability and expertise in developing successful advocacy campaigns
- Ability and experience in overseeing content creation across digital and non-digital channels.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or Marketing
- 15 years of professional experience at increasing senior level in media, marketing, branding and / or advocacy communications.
- Relevant experience in UN System Country Office setting or with similar multilateral development organization of similar size and complexity is desirable
- A proven ability to effectively lead high profile global initiatives, experience with successful advocacy campaigns, digital communications, and outreach to diverse global and national audiences
- Proven track record of success in generating and garnering media coverage for international development or international relations issues.
- Experience leading teams who carry out best practices in digital communications, including web sites, editorial, media, video, blogs, and social media
- Extraordinary communications skills – listening, influence, negotiation/persuasion, counsel.
- Proven excellence in people management leading large dynamic teams.
- Ability to effectively interact with and maintain strong working relationships with a broad array of stakeholders, including high-level officials, staff, the public, and the media
- Proficiency in English and a second official UN language required.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.