Junior Site Engineer (2 positions)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Duty Station: Beirut, with frequent travel to various regions of Lebanon
- Report to: Project Manager
- Level: SC6
- Start Date: Immediate
The COVID-19 pandemic came at a time when Lebanon was already under an unprecedented shock due to the socio-economic-financial crisis and the Syrian refugee crisis. This pandemic is a health, humanitarian and development crisis that is threatening to leave deep social, economic and political scars for years to come, particularly in countries such as Lebanon already weighed down by fragility, poverty and conflict. UNDP is responding to a growing volume of requests from countries to help them prepare for, respond to and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, focusing particularly on the most vulnerable, and Lebanon is one of them.
It is also imperative to assist Lebanese public health care institutions that are tasked to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic to become more cost-effective, more comfort-related, environmentally responsible, especially with respect to energy-use. Interventions that ease the cost pressures, increase reliability, and improve the environmental performance of energy provision will impact positively on the health of the Lebanese and refugee population in which they provide health care services for.
Funded by KfW Bankengruppe and in coordination with the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health, the LHSP – Response to the impact of COVID-19 in Lebanon will work on several activities, including Activity 1.3 “Implementing solar for health initiatives”. Sustainable energy interventions will be designed and implemented to target 10 public sector hospitals that were selected in different regions of Lebanon under the Ministry of Public Health Phase 1 plan for COVID-19 response.
UNDP is seeking to recruit two Junior Site Engineers for this project to undertake the technical support related to the design and implementation of the renewable energy systems, with a focus on solar photovoltaic systems, solar hot water systems, efficiency lighting and efficient heating, ventilation and air conditions (HVAC) systems, and other related activities for this project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Junior Site Engineers will be responsible for the technical design, supervision and monitoring of the demonstration projects. The demonstration projects include technologies such as solar photovoltaic systems, solar hot water systems, efficiency lighting and efficient heating, ventilation and air conditions (HVAC) systems among other actions. The specific functions/responsibilities include:
1. Technical Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation of the full technical design and sizing and Single Line Diagrams (SLD) and installation / interconnection drawings (when applicable) for solar photovoltaic systems, solar hot water systems, efficient lighting, and HVAC systems based on the beneficiary site needs’ and conditions;
- Prepare shop drawings, work schedules and material specifications; and ensure conformity with the design specifications;
- Assist in preparation of Tender documents for solar photovoltaic systems, solar hot water systems, efficient lighting, and HVAC systems based on the design specifications
- Prepare, in collaboration with the various contractors, the time schedules for the execution works and the arrangements regarding the proper delivery of equipment to the installation sites; and ensure information is communicated to the site engineers;
- Research and maintain an updated database on relevant EE/RE products and prices.
2. Support in Site Supervision, monitoring and reporting
- Assist in work supervision, including: ensuring the provision of complete listings of installed equipment per site; the preparation of site logs, acceptance reports; change orders; documentation of site condition; etc.
- Liaise with Contractor’s staff in all site matters and assist in finding practical solutions to daily site problems;
- Assist in controlling engineering works and in particular the quality of works, safety and environmental aspects and compliance with the Contract;
- Convey progress, comments, problems etc. to Project Coordinator regarding the works;
- Review and monitor planning schedules, analyze potential or occurring constraints/delays and oversee the implementation of remedial measures, including extending assistance to Contractor to reschedule priorities.
- Assist in the performance testing of installations and coordinate hand-over arrangements;
- Assist in the monitoring and data collection from the various sites including data management and analysis;
- Develop and prepare commissioning and progress reports as needed;
- Support in the training and capacity building workshops that are organized by the project to transfer technology to beneficiaries and counterparts.
- Ability to interface and maintain a positive relationship with others (team work);
- Good organisational and coordination skills,
- Effective oral and written communication skills, as well as research skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Energy Engineering, or closely related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of international engineering standards and quality procedures particularly in renewable energy applications (in specific solar PV, and/or solar hot water systems)
- Proficiency with engineering and solar PV and/or solar hot water design software, such as Homer Pro, PVsyst, AutoCad, T*SOL…
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications and relevant computer applications.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic. French is a plus.
- Other: Willingness to travel regularly to the project sites across the various Lebanese regions.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.