UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Duty Station: Beirut, with frequent travel to various regions of Lebanon
- Report to: Project Manager
- Level: SC 7
- Start Date: Immediate
The COVID-19 pandemic came at a time when Lebanon was already under an unprecedented shock due to the socio-economic-financial crisis and the Syrian refugee crisis. This pandemic is a health, humanitarian and development crisis that is threatening to leave deep social, economic and political scars for years to come, particularly in countries such as Lebanon already weighed down by fragility, poverty and conflict. UNDP is responding to a growing volume of requests from countries to help them prepare for, respond to and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, focusing particularly on the most vulnerable, and Lebanon is one of them.
It is also imperative to assist Lebanese public health care institutions that are tasked to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic to become more cost-effective, more comfort-related, environmentally responsible, especially with respect to energy-use. Interventions that ease the cost pressures, increase reliability, and improve the environmental performance of energy provision will impact positively on the health of the Lebanese and refugee population in which they provide health care services for.
Funded by KfW Bankengruppe and in coordination with the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health, the LHSP – Response to the impact of COVID-19 in Lebanon will work on several activities, including Activity 1.3 “Implementing solar for health initiatives”. Sustainable energy interventions will be designed and implemented to target 10 public sector hospitals that were selected in different regions of Lebanon under the Ministry of Public Health Phase 1 plan for COVID-19 response.
UNDP is seeking to recruit a Project Coordinator to undertake the technical support and operational coordination related to the implementation of the energy efficiency and renewable energy systems and other related activities for this project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for the technical and operational coordination related to the effective design, supervision and monitoring of the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy demonstration projects. The demonstration projects include technologies such as: solar photovoltaic applications, solar hot water applications, energy efficiency measures (lighting), heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, among other actions.The specific functions/responsibilities include:
1. Technical Responsibilities
- Prepare technical specifications for solar photovoltaic applications, solar thermal applications, energy efficiency measures (lighting), heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems;
- Review EE/RE technical specifications and check compatibility of the proposed EE/RE measures with site characteristics;
- Review and approve submitted shop drawings, work schedules and material specifications; and ensure conformity with the design specifications;
- Prepare, in collaboration with the various contractors, the time schedules for the execution works and the arrangements regarding the proper delivery of equipment to the installation sites; and ensure information is communicated to the site engineers;
- Supervise the performance testing of installations and coordinate hand-over arrangements;
- Supervise the monitoring and data collection from the various sites;
- Research and maintain an updated database on relevant EE/RE products and prices.
2. Coordination Support
- Support the Project Manager to supervise the work of Junior Site Engineers to ensure the proper supervision of works including: ensuring the provision of complete listings of installed equipment per site; the preparation of site logs, acceptance reports, quality control procedures; change orders; documentation of site condition; etc.
- Inspect works for conformity to specifications and design instructions; and support in ensuring work compliance with relevant engineering standards and codes;
- Identify, evaluate and provide solutions to field problems, and coordinate the implementation of solutions by collaborating with contractors, site engineers, project management, and beneficiaries;
- Consolidate the various technical reports from the field and support in the preparation of progress reports accordingly.
3. Reporting and Outreach
- In coordination with the Project Manager, liaise with, counterparts, beneficiaries and potential beneficiaries for the proper implementation of the EE/RE projects;
- In coordination with the Project Manager, liaise with relevant public sector institutions (specifically the public hospitals and the Ministry of Public Health) for the coordination of specifications and technology transfer;
- Participate in training and capacity building workshops that are organized by the project to transfer technology to beneficiaries and counterparts.
- Ability to assume responsibility and to supervise the technical work of others;
- Ability to interface and maintain a positive relationship with others (teamwork);
- Good organisational and coordination skills,
- Effective oral and written communication skills, as well as research skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Energy Engineering, or closely related field
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 2 years of experience with a Master’s degree.
- Knowledge of international engineering standards and quality procedures particularly in renewable energy applications and HVAC systems for hospitals
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications and relevant computer applications.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic. Knowledge of French is a plus.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.