Senior Staff Assistant (for FILIPINO NATIONALS only)
This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), which is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response’s efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national, international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the HAT and guidance by the Regional Chief of Administration in the ROAP Bangkok, Thailand Office. The staff assistant is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery by performing full range of business operations, administrative, finance and logistics support functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures support to HAT Operations and logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains the Head of HAT and senior staff calendars, managing contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Maintains the arching system, ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated online filing systems;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Events such as workshops, conferences and seminars are efficiently organized and well managed;
- Manages the Head of HAT’s missions and representation schedule, and travel of other staff;
- Maintains rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists;
- Prepares correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of the Head of HAT’s for his/her signature and making follow-up when required;
- Uses automated office management systems for effective functioning of the HAT; and
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
Efficient Coordination support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinates the information flow within the office, follow up on tasking and action points;
- Facilitates information sharing between the HAT and ROAP and the UN Office of the Resident Coordinator;
- Follows up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Head of HAT;
- Screens all incoming calls and correspondence for Head of HAT;
- Presents proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the Head of HAT and subordinates;
- Maintains required protocol procedures;
- Prepares high quality briefing materials for Head of HAT’s appointments, meetings, missions; and
- Prepares informal translations support.
Support to administrative tasks focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides administrative support for procurement activities for ROAP and other HATs in the region (Indonesia and Japan);
- Under supervision of ROAP, contacts local suppliers to request quotations for goods and services. Also obtain additional information/documentation as required;
- Prepares procurement-related documents for review and approval, e.g. price comparison table for low value procurement; Requisition Form, Term of Reference and other technical documents for high value procurement;
- Under supervision of ROAP, Performs Requisitioning role in Umoja to create Low Value Acquisition (LVA) Purchase Orders for goods and services and Shopping Carts for High Value Acquisition (HVA) including hiring individual contractors. Tasks also include developing TORs for procurement of goods and services;
- Coordinates with suppliers to ensure that procurement activities are delivered on schedule and in accordance with approved specification; and
- Performs receipt of goods and services and process the invoice for payment in Umoja.
- Time Administrator:
- Updates staff movement calendar; and
- Performs Time Administrator role in Umoja to update staff leave records as well as provide support to staff for issues related to time management in the system.
- Travel Administrator:
- Performs Travel Administrator role to create Travel Requests in Umoja for Head of HAT, Senior Managers and other staff as required. Also Coordinate with travel agent in provision of tickets, visas and other logistic/protocol requirements to support staff’s mission travels.
- Petty Cash / Finance:
- Maintains and manages the office Petty Cash account, undertaking minor procurement of supplies within the authority delegated as petty cash custodian; and
- Manages the replenishment of the petty cash amount.
- Human Resources:
- Manages the extension of national staff contract; and
- Prepare the overtime payments for national staff as required.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in online and in person training for operations/humanitarian on administration;
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organizes specialized trainings for members of the HAT and partners;
- Organizes training to UN staff and relevant partners on coordination, administration and protocol issues; and
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Innovation. Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs.
Leadership. Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others.
People Management. Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making.
Communication. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation.
Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value.
TECHNICAL / FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:
HR/Finance Interface. Provide support to HR Finance Interface inluding position management, chart of accounts, certification of financial resources for position extension, creation, etc. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Human Resources Management (General). Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Recruiting. Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Team Building. Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Communication. Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education or bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Specialized certification in HR/procurement/finance an added asset.
- 6 years of relevant experience in general office support or with Secondary Education or 3 years of relevant experience with bachelor's degree.
- Relevant experience in Human Resources or Administration/finance is required.
- Experience to support teams in OCHA Complex Emergency and Natural disasters response in Asia and Pacific region is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
- Non-Smoking environment.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.