Programme Manager Humanitarian-UNWOMEN
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
For several decades, Cameroon was considered as a model of peace in Africa. However, nowadays, it is confronted with enormous security challenges provoked by political instability in neighboring countries (Nigeria, the Central African Republic and Chad) on the one hand, the unjustified attacks of the islamist sect Boko Haram and the socio-political crisis in the South-West and North-West Regions of Cameroon. These situations have provoked massive movements of populations into its territory and contributed to the destruction of the socioeconomic system of the society with dramatic consequences as the increase of violence, the death of numerous innocent Cameroonians among whom many women and children, forced and massive movements of populations, the destruction of whole villages, the slowing down economic activities.
To address the increasing humanitarian needs, UN Women is implementing currently 3 projects funded by the Government of Japan, ACCD in Far North and CERF in South West North West and is seeking to recruit a Programme Manager Humanitarian for the leadership, substantive coordination and overall management of Humanitarian component results in country.
Reporting to the Deputy Representative, the Programme Manager is responsible for the leadership, substantive coordination and overall management of the Humanitarian Programme/projects for results, working together with UN Women Country Offices in the region, and with the Programme and operations units in the Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Programme development advisory services related to Humanitarian
- Provide substantive inputs into countries’ strategy documents, Programme/ project proposals, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to Humanitarian in the region; Prepare substantive inputs to the UN Women country office Programme planning;
- Develop and present a coherent perspective on Humanitarian to help define country strategic plans of action for implementation;
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders, women leaders, human rights experts and UN partners to gather inputs on Programme design.
- Monitor the implementation and management of the Humanitarian Programme
- Provide advisory support to the Country Office Management;
- Manage GBV/Humanitarian Programme;
- Lead the technical implementation and conceptualization of the Programme/ project; ensure synergies with other CO teams;
- Monitor Programme Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings.
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to project/Programme partners
- Lead or oversee the development and implementation of technical guidance to project/Programme
- Provide technical advice and guidance to Country Office Programme staff on building and managing partnerships;
- Provide substantive inputs to capacity building opportunities and initiatives in each country;
- Serve as lead expert to partners on Humanitarian
- Oversee the monitoring and reporting of the Humanitarian Programme
- Ensure that all programming under the Country Office Programme is monitored, reviewed and evaluated;
- Oversee the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on program results and indicators;
- Review and write quarterly reports and donor reports;
- Manage the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
- Manage the people and financial resources of the Humanitarian Programme
- Monitor the Programme budget;
- Review financial reports;
- Manage staff and consultants and provide guidance to Programme staff at the CO level;
- Oversee the recruitment process, as necessary.
- Establish partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Identify, develop and implement resource mobilization opportunities in support of the regional Programme;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Establish partnerships, draft agreements and monitor their implementation;
- Ensure close cooperation with other UN Women teams; develop alliances and working partnerships.
- Lead inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for Humanitarian in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development Programme is harmonized and aligned with other CO efforts.
- Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to Humanitarian;
- Manage and coordinate across the region advocacy strategies and their implementation;
- Lead the development of knowledge management strategies and methodologies and products on Humanitarian;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide Programme improvement and strategy planning; disseminate regionally or globally.
Key Performance Indicators
· Timely and quality Programme strategies and activities
· Partners and other stakeholder provide positive feedback on advisory services
· Quality reports and timely submission
· Quality monitoring and reporting
· Increased awareness of UN Women’s work
· Quality knowledge products
· Resources mobilized
· UN Women is seen as a leader in Humanitarian
· Increased cooperation and communication between country offices
Timely and quality advice and support to Country Office
· Respect for Diversity
· Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
· Creative Problem Solving
· Effective Communication
· Inclusive Collaboration
· Stakeholder Engagement
· Leading by Example
· Excellent Programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent knowledge of results-based management principles and approaches
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on the for development results
- Outstanding knowledge in Humanitarian
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation
- Excellent networking skills
Ability to negotiate and interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
· Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is requiredA project/Programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Humanitarian projects;
- Technical experience in Humanitarian;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing a team.
· Fluency in English and French is required;Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
FEMALE CANDIDATE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED