Country Finance Officer TALENT POOL - Anglophone Countries
Multiple locations (Multiple locations)
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is ministry of the Society of Jesus, incorporated as an international non-governmental organisation with a mission to accompany, serve, and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. The organisation was founded in November 1980 and now has a presence in over 50 countries. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support and guidance of an international office (IO) in Rome. JRS service is human and spiritual, working in situations of greatest need, seeking the long-term well-being of refugees and displaced people while not neglecting their immediate or urgent needs. The main services provided are in the field of education, emergency assistance, and psychosocial support and livelihood activities. Currently, more than 724,000 individuals are direct beneficiaries of JRS projects.
The Country Finance Officer (CFO) is the overall responsible person for finance in the JRS Country Office. The CFO oversees all the financial aspects of the Country Office. S/he is directly accountable to the Country Director and works as part of the Country Office Team in close collaboration with the Country Programs Officer. S/he works with senior management personnel in each project (Project Directors and Finance Officers) at the same time liaising with relevant staff in the International Office and Regional Office. This position embraces a range of responsibilities from initiating needs assessments to ensuring adequate and ongoing funding, periodic project evaluations and final closure of projects.
• In co-operation and consultation with the Country Director, takes overall responsibility for the financial management of the Country
• Consolidates financial reports for the country and provides analysis so as to advise the country director on the financial position of the country at any time and alert relevant country personnel about issues as they arise;
• Prepares the country office for, coordinate and supervises the external annual audit and other project audits as required;
• Ensures adherence and implementation of JRS International Finance policies, carrying out relevant training for country and project personnel;
• Advises the Country Director on budgetary and monetary strategies and cash flow as well as financial implications of new projects;
• Contributes to the real time project oversight function of the Country Office ensuring budgetary, procedural and policy compliance, alerting Country Director and Country Programmes Officer of any upcoming/potential issue;
Finance and Accounting
• Ensures compliance with all finance, procurement and asset management policies;
• Oversees preparation of projects’ and country offices’ budgets and, in close collaboration with the Country Programmes Officer, prepares financial proposals and reports for funders when required;
• Prepares and develops monthly and quarterly progress reports for management and decision makers;
• Identifies administrative and financial related risks, concerns and constraints, and proposes mitigation measures through the implementation of best practices;
• Acts as a point of contact for enquiries of financial nature from institutional and private funders, regional and international office;
• Prepares and elaborates country specific finance policies, in consultation with the Country Director and the International Office, to ensure careful adherence to JRS Finance Policy at all levels;
• Verifies monthly payroll for the staff in coordination with the Country Director and Country Human Resources Officer;
• Ensures timely payment of staff salaries, contractors and other expenditures;
• Verifies supporting documents to ensure completeness before payments;
• Acts as public Officer for the organisation and is the point of contact with taxation related matters.
• Manages all accounting operations based on accounting principles
• Ensures proper records are kept, maintain the books of accounts, i.e. ledger, sub-ledger, cash book and all other records as required; Maintains the filing system for all financial and accounting documents and transactions, and prepares periodic financial reports and submit for review;
• Manages bank and cash accounts, ensure sounds liquidity plan
• Follows up on advances and refunds;
• Promotes and shares ideas for improvement of the finance function
• Travels to the project locations in order to provide field support
• In close collaboration with the Country Programmes Officer, oversees management of the Project Cycle and leads process of monitoring of all projects for financial/budget performance, reporting the outcome to the Country Director and advising on ongoing strategies;
• Ensures that JRS project teams implement and maintain the use of JRS international finance templates, reporting policies and tools
• Trains and provide technical advice to project personnel in use of finance tools and monitors progress, troubleshooting where necessary and providing input into their appraisal;
• Provides technical advice, support and assistance to finance and where appropriate other project personnel in field offices on issues related to financial management and internal controls, as well as financial regulations, rules, policies and procedures, including segregation of duties and delegation of authority;
• Provides assistance and advice to the Country Director in the recruitment of JRS staff (at country and project level) to perform financial functions
• In coordination with the relevant project staff, ensure that project/program expenses are incurred consistent with grant agreements and grant budgets;
Qualifications and experience:
• A University degree in accounting, finance, business and administration, or related areas;
• At least five (5) years of professional experience working in a finance-related role;
• Professional experience in a similar capacity with international, non-profit organizations.
Required Skills and competencies
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and one or more internationally-recognized accounting systems;
• Prior experience in accounting, book keeping procedures, account reconciliation and data analysis;
• Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures relating to accounting, financial controls and financial information systems;
• Strong knowledge of laws and regulations that have an impact on financial analysis and management controls;
• Good ability in preparing financial reports such as statement of financial position, comprehensive income, changes in accumulated fund, cash flow
• Knowledge of Microsoft Navision is highly desirable
• Self-direction, creativity, and follow up skills to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met;
• Ability to prioritize and manage tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment and promote effective teamwork;
• Strong management, analytical and interpersonal skills;
• Good organizational skills and high attention to detail;
• Ability to work with and maintain good relationships with multiple stakeholders;
• Demonstrated experience in working in developing countries is highly desirable;
• Willingness to work and travel to refugee settings in challenging environments.
All applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
1) Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English, including three (3) professional references with contact information, phone and email address.
2) A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for JRS and how her/his qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position
3) Copy of academic qualifications.
Applications to the Talent Pool will be received at any time within the indicated deadline.
Within this time frame, if and when there are relevant job opportunities, suitable candidates will be contacted for a test and/or an interview.
Qualified candidates may be offered assignments in various locations worldwide. JRS is present in more than 50 countries, with assignment especially located in the Eastern African and Southern African Region.