Humanitarian Affairs Officer (for FILIPINO NATIONALS only)
This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), which is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response’s efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national, international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
Under the guidance of the Head of the Humanitarian Advisory Team (HAT), He/She will be an integral part of the Humanitarian Advisory Team, and will work in close collaboration with Government and relief/recovery partners in the formulation of strategies of engagement in support of the mandate of OCHA at both technical and operational levels. He/She will have knowledge to liaison with relief and recovery agencies, central and local authorities, as well as other actors across areas of operation, to ensure effective and transparent coordination.
The role of Humanitarian Affairs Office will support in humanitarian/development Nexus coordination, humanitarian funding appeals, Humanitarian Country Team secretariat functions, and the monitoring and reporting of humanitarian conditions on a regular basis in support of the UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the oversight of the Head of HAT, the Humanitarian Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Substantive assistance in the implementation of inclusive, field-level coordination mechanisms, including liaison with relevant UN operational agencies, NGOs, local authorities and affected people;
- Regular monitoring and analysis of humanitarian developments and support the preparation of internal and public analytical reports highlighting social, political, humanitarian and other relevant factors affecting the overall humanitarian situation;
- Effective monitoring of humanitarian risks to ensure that contingency plans are consistent and well-coordinated including availability of resources; supporting the inter-agency contingency planning;
- Strengthen emergency preparedness measures including drafting inter-agency contingency plans, developing and supporting preparedness exercises, supporting civil-military coordination, monitor natural disaster trends, and provide preparedness advisory services to Government and partners;
- Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with local and international humanitarian partners, government officials, and media, development of appropriate strategies, etc.;
- Provision of secretariat and coordination support to the UN Humanitarian Coordinator/HCT, and provide analytic inputs to humanitarian strategies;
- Liaise with humanitarian partners on the collection of information to effectively map areas of humanitarian needs and monitor the impact of response activities in support of coordination efforts; and track information required for early warning of potential conflict and conflict-related vulnerability;
- Contribute to the preparation of various written documents e.g. draft sections of studies, background papers, guidance notes, reports and annual reports, etc.;
- Assist in organization of meetings, seminars, conferences, workshops etc. with other agencies and partners to facilitate exchange of professional expertise and views on specific humanitarian related subjects/issues;
- Participates in technical assistance, disaster assessment or other missions; and
- Perform other duties, as required.
Innovation. Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Leadership. Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
People Management. Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 4: Models independent thinking and action.
Communication. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
TECHNICAL / FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:
Quality Assurance. Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Project Management. Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Local Governance. Knowledge of local governance systems and institutions, decentralizations policies and laws, basic service delivery and recovery planning and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Operational Efficiency. Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Knowledge Facilitation. Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
Team building. Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in political science, social science, international studies, public administration, economics or relevant discipline AND/OR
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience maybe accepted in liue of the advanced university degree.
- Certification in Humanitarian field will be an asset.
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in humanitarian affairs, hands-on experience in emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, development, or related area, is required.
- Humanitarian experience in the field (setting where a project is being implemented) in emergency situations (complex emergency or natural disaster) is desirable.
- Experience in the UN Common System is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in English.
- Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
- This position may involve extensive traveling within Philippines as well as providing international surge support, primarily within the Asia Pacific region.
- Non-Smoking environment .
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.