FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
This position is located in FAO Pakistan, based in Karachi with travel to Tharparkar and Umerkot, Sindh. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist the government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the Provincial International Program Coordinator, the incumbent will report on a day to day basis to the Project Coordinator and work in close collaboration with other technical specialists in the project team.
Capacity development and knowledge management for sustainable natural resources management and conservation.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide technical inputs to carrying capacity of rangeland, per hectare plantation density and soil organic matter assessment, including design of methodology, data collection tools, training of field staff in assessment methodology, and data analysis;
- Obtain additional statistical data on socio-economic, climate and hydrological aspects to complement the assessment;
- Coordination and communication with government counterparts, stakeholders as well as FAO project staff;
- Provide technical inputs to the project baseline assessment to gather and analyze environmental challenges affecting natural resources and food security in the project districts;
- Work on integrated SAP and NRM practices and the community small works based on a cost-share basis;
- Build the technical capacity of the field staff in context-specific natural resource management strategies;
- Provide technical inputs and advice to the project staff in designing a training program for project beneficiaries on natural resource management.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Minimum Requirements: University post-graduate qualification in natural resource management, agricultural science, soil and water resource management.
- Minimum of seven (7) years progressively responsible experience in analysis of natural resources challenges; development of natural resources management strategies.
- Working knowledge of the English language and the ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English, Urdu, Sindhi and other languages used in Sindh is essential.
- National of Pakistan.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
- Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Knowledge and understanding of sourcing within the procurement function.
- Strong research skills, ability to conduct benchmarking analysis in support of vendor identification, selection and performance management.
- Display initiative and take responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines and closely follow-up until successful outputs are achieved.
- Continue to seek new, innovative and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work assigned.
- Identify and recommend remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.