Panama (United States of America)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Ensures financial records are compliance with SOPs, IPSAS and other UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Proper review/validation of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects, preparation of all types of vouchers, pay cycle and payments execution.
- Timely execution of pay cycle run and validation of payment data.
- Timely review and approval of vouchers (Approver Level 1)
- Approval of vendors in Atlas.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely follow up with COs on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for COs and ensures that deposits are created and applied on timely manner, and in accordance with guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations in accordance with guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Performs Payroll Administrator functions, which includes the recording of one time/recurring earnings and deductions, proper validation of payroll results for a timely disbursement of salaries as per the monthly payroll calendar.
- Performs timely travel and expense reconciliation
- Ensures proper adherence to Service Level Agreement (SLAs) contribute to the evolution of services proposed by GSSU and the establishment of a continuous improvement environment. Able to analyze discrepancies, report and bring to Management’s attention on deviation from Service Agreements.
- Assist in functions relating Procure-to-Pay lifecycle
- Perform accounting tasks such as record invoice, analyses account payable and monitoring late payments, managing payment batches.
- Analyze payable accounts and monitor aging of invoices, payment on hold and unpaid vouchers,
- Ensure proper record of Value Added Tax (VAT).
- Record General Ledger transactions in area of Fixed Assets, inventory, Investment accounting, B2B, Inter-UN Agency transactions, common shared services adjustment and cash management.
- Assist with analyzing of accounts and preparation of reconciliations against sub-ledgers with correct Chart of Account (COA) combinations, report aging balances, taking appropriate actions and tracking pending items.
- Assist in ensuring financial data integrity through running scheduled checks and monitoring.
- Support the implementation of accounts closure, perform quarterly analysis, semi/annual certifications and financial report, perform timely and quality bank reconciliation, report deviances and implementation of the Internal Control Framework (ICF).
- Contribute in providing detail analysis for audit requirement.
- Ensure financial records are compliance with SOPs, IPSAS and other UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Process revenue accounting and treasury transactions.
- Examine and record transactions received in bank accounts.
- Analyze queries relating to revenue and treasury and provide support to UNDP offices worldwide in these areas.
- Prepare financial schedules, reports and working papers for internal reporting, external reporting and/or audit.
- Assist in preparing an annual Executive Board Report.
- Organization of training for junior staff in the Finance Stream.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and/or Finance. University degree in Finance or Accounting desirable.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test.
- Minimum 6 years with secondary school education or 3 years with a Bachelors’ degree of relevant experience in accounting and/or financial management, preferably in an international setting.
- Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office packages
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Hands-on experience with CRM, preferably with Oracle CX.
- Hands-on experience with Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP), preferably with Oracle Cloud, SAP or PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (oral and written). Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.