UNDP - Administrative and Travel Assistant, Operations
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Associate and overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the Administrative and Travel Assistant provides support to office operations by performing a variety of standard administrative and travel management processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to administrative and logistical services
- Support to travel management processes
- Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the travel services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Support in follow-up with contracted travel agent to ensure provision of high quality professional service and most competitive price.
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including entitlements, travel route and hotel arrangement.
- Arrangements for security clearance when required.
- Processing travel requests/expenses and travel claims in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices.
- Processing requests for meeting participant’s vendor & travel profile creation/approval
- Hotel reservations for visiting UN/UNDP officials.
- Processing requests for visas for all UN travelers, as well as requests for Resident Permit, Individual Identification Number (IIN) and Diplomatic Identification Card for international staff.
- Arrangement for airport pick-up of high-level officials and support to expediting of customs and immigration procedures, as necessary.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Reconciliation of settlements to be paid by the Finance Unit.
- Performance of a Buyer role in Atlas and preparation of POs if required.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Support in collecting of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Booking of the vehicles in Fleet Management System
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
- Act as an alternative for Administrative Associate including the below but not limited to:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNDP shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions.
- Checking and recording of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Other duties as per established back-up mechanism within the department.
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Prepares timely inputs to report
Required Skills and Experience
- High School, specialized certification in administration is desirable. University degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or other relevant field is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems. Experience in UN is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Kazakh and/or Russian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.