The Democratic Governance Unit of UNDP Pakistan works to support democratic development and the rule of law in Pakistan. The Unit works toward improved governance at federal, provincial and particularly district levels by supporting the devolution and decentralization objectives through political and fiscal devolution, transparency and accountability, strengthening of state institutions, capacity and promotion of local participation and ownership. Thereby UNDP Pakistan focusses on Human Rights protection and the localization of the SDGs as cross-cutting themes.
UNDP Pakistan also supports the rule of law through provision of support to justice and security sector, which aims at promoting an enabling environment to secure peace and stabilization by enhancing confidence and trust of the local communities in the rule of law institutions and ensuring improved law enforcement, speedy justice, including that of informal justice system. Strong, credible and effective governing institutions that have the confidence of the citizens and meet their needs and aspirations are the foundations of sound governance. UNDP is currently also engaged in providing support to capacity development of parliamentarians, parliamentary officials and civil society partners to strengthen parliamentary oversight and policy guidance. Strengthening parliamentary oversight and women parliamentarians’ caucus on peace, security and stabilization are the concurrent objectives.
The Democratic Governance Unit further supports the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Provincial government to build and strengthen the capacity of its human rights institutions and district courts to develop effective and timely justice systems, improved criminal investigation and prosecution, and civilian oversight mechanisms.UNDP also works to increase access to justice and legal aid for vulnerable groups and promotes informal justice mechanisms where these offer optimal results. Our ongoing efforts are helping to consolidate, strengthen and extend Government and civil society capacity and systems to manage external development resources in a results-based manner to achieve Pakistan’s national development goals.
Under the supervision of Assistant Resident Representative DGU, the intern will assist DGU team, particularly in carrying out the unit tasks and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support in the preparation of programmes and projects documents in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Prepare documents and analyze innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Support the innovation team in group discussions and assist in drafting proposals.
- Actively liaise with all projects under DGU for timely reporting of deadlines.
- Support research linked to delivery of programme and project as per agreed work planned
- Provide administrative programme support to key activities of Programme Unit;
- Provide support on the development of relevant communications materials;
- Provide other assistance e.g. preparation and translation of documents and organizing meetings.
- Develop the minutes of meetings
- Assist in preparation of presentation material
- Contribute to creation of project information
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Seeks, shares and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Good command on written and spoken English is essential.
- Understanding of human-centered design, design thinking approaches is an asset
- Basic knowledge of graphics and Adobe creative suite
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor/Master’s Degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics or related field.
Currently enrolled in undergraduate/graduate programme or have completed a university degree no more than one year ago.
Fluency in English and Urdu is required
Duration: 12 weeks with a possibility of extension
Candidates who get selected for internship at UNDP shall be required to provide proof of medical insurance for the duration of the internship.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicant’s bank accounts.