Business Support Assistant
Job Title: Business Support Assistant
Job Level: SC-4 (Service Contract) │ National Position
Number of openings: 01
Unit/ Division: Administration
Contract duration: 12 months
Duty station: Maroua
Assisting almost 100 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
Our mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Since 1978, WFP has actively assisted humanitarian and development interventions in Cameroon. Between 2014 and 2019, WFP has provided lifesaving and resilience building, food and nutrition assistance to refugees, internal displaced people and local communities, which has contributed to stabilizing the food security situation among vulnerable groups in Cameroon in pursuit of Zero Hunger.
With the Country Strategic Plan [CSP] (2018 – 2021), WFP Cameroon endeavours to ensure that targeted food-insecure and vulnerable populations benefit from more sustainable and inclusive food systems and increased resilience to shocks to meet their food and nutrition needs. Under this CSP, WFP will design and implement interventions to address food and nutrition security challenges, from production through to consumption.
WFP in the Far North operates through its Field Offices in Maroua (Far North), two antennas in Mokolo and Kousseri to ensure proximity with the beneficiaries. This position will be based in Maroua.
What will you do?
You will deliver standard business support processes, to facilitate effective service delivery.
Why work with us?
- WFP provides food assistance to more than 86 million people in 83 countries, including Cameroon. Your work will have a positive impact on lives of the world’s most vulnerable people.
- You will join a diverse team of professionals and will have an opportunity to exchange your experiences with your colleagues and continuously learning from each other.
- WFP invests in the training and development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, mentorship and other programs as well as through international mobility opportunities.
- Our team is growing nationally and internationally and the timing to join us cannot be better!
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to know more about us!!
Key Responsibilities (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive):
At this position, you will:
- Process and manage routine administrative tasks in various functional areas;
- Support the maintenance of office files, documents and records in accordance with established systems and processes;
- Collate information for inclusion in reports, documents and correspondence, to support the effective work of the Head of Field Offices;
- Assist with the effective and timely management of material and administrative resources (Assets, vehicles, fuel);
- Support HR activities in the field office including preparation of basic reports, to facilitate efficient HR service;
- Undertake standard data entry tasks in accordance with defined systems, to ensure information is organised and readily available;
- Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner;
- Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations;
- Any other duties requested by the Head of Field office.
Qualifications and Key Requirements
Education: Completion of secondary school education (GCE A Level or Baccalaureat). Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Administration, Finance, Human Resources is desirable.
Experience: 3 years of relevant professional experience in general administration, office management, communication, Project Management, finance and accounting.
Knowledge and skills:
- Administration and administrative assistance, other development programme/project experience;
- Finance, accounting and audit;
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft computer programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access would be an advantage and common commercial accounting packages;
- Previous experience working with humanitarian sector will be a nice to have.
Language: Fluency in one official language (English or French) and working knowledge of the other
Deadline for application Date: 20th January 2021 at 11:59 PM
This position open to Cameroonian nationals only.
Terms and Conditions
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting an inclusive work environment in which diversity is valued and where no form of discrimination is tolerated. We aim to achieve parity in our teams in West and Central Africa.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.