UN Clinic Nurse
Banjul (Gambia the)
The UN Dispensary Nurse performs the functions under the supervision of the UN Medical Physician.
The UN Clinics operate, with regard to technical matters only, under the general supervision of the UN Medical Director and with and with UNDP on regards of all administrative matters.
The technical supervision of the physician and the medical personnel in the field and the Technical performance evaluation will be executed by the UN Medical Director or his nominee. In order to ensure that UNDP should granted access to DHMOSH (Division of Healthcare Management and Occupational Safety and Health) for its performance appraisal report.
Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Technical Duties:
Within delegated authority, the Nurse in close collaboration with the Head nurse is responsible for the following duties:
- Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers in providing adequate care;
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate;
- documents case findings.
- Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as: ECG, x-rays, laboratory (blood and urine), and other tests as required.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic;
- Provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as required.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs;
- participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, and addresses other occupational health issues.
- Coordinates medical evacuation and cooperates with Medical Services Division in N.Y. and the receiving facilities in home countries;
- Assists in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation;
- Advises evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorts patients if needed;
- Concludes or closes medical evacuation files to enable staff members to submit claims;
- Assist in arrangements for the deceased;
- Performs other related duties as required
- Designs and implements outreach programs for mission personnel;
- Plans and organizes preventive and promotes medical fairs;
- Perform medical briefing for incoming staff and conduct first aid training;
- Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, provides care/advice (e.g., the benefits of preventive medicine etc.) accordingly and facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated;
- Provide first-aid and advice to the staff and their dependents;
- Administer minor “outpatient” treatment and immunization requirements;
- Maintain the records of patients' medical data including consultations and treatment;
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Perform medication, injection, dressing, stitching, foreign body extraction and so on as needed;
- Maintain Emergency medical supplies and equipment and be prepared for disaster;
- Maintain the roster of specialists for referral and treatment;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of other UN Dispensary personnel i.e. Ambulance Driver and Cleaner;
- Check equipment and supplies in daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis and maintain them in working order;
- Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized and maintains hygiene and cleanliness of the dispensary;
- Through a monthly check, ensures that medical instruments and equipment in the UN ambulance are maintained in a working order, and replaced after use;
- Enter medical data of patients into register, patient's file, and electronic databases;
- Schedule consultations with the UN Physician for eligible staff and dependents.
- Maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referrals and treatment when necessary;
- Ensure a proper and safe disposal of hazardous material and medical waste in close coordination with the Medical Officer, Laboratorist Pharmacist and Nurses,
- Identifies and plans clinics’ material, supplies and equipment requirements and raises requisitions accordingly;
- Liaises with Procurement Section and Supply Section to establish essential contracts for the mission;
- Develops logistic plans to support field satellite clinics, and follows up on implementation;
- Draws and implements duty roster for clinic personnel;
- Maintains and medical inventory and supplies and distributes medical supplies to outstations;
- Arranges medical appointments and examinations to mission personnel;
- Updates the monthly medical reports.
Impact of Results:
Provides quality nursing services that contribute to the good physical and mental health of the staff of the Organisation.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the dispensary. Accurate analysis and presentation of information thoroughly researched, and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the UN Clinic at the duty station and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
1. Professionalism: Knowledge and experience in clinical/occupational nursing. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of peace operations.
2. Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; ability to establish priorities and to plan and co-ordinate own work plan; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
3. Commitment to continuous learning: Initiative and willingness to keep abreast of new skills in the nursing field.
4. Technology Awareness: Proficiency in relevant medical software packages.
5. Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
6. Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
7. Client Orientation: Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients. Responds to client needs promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
Registered Professional Nurse and first level degree from an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Program (University) or equivalent such as an accredited Diploma Program (4 years). National Registration and License is essential. Certificates in ECG, CPR or Basic Life Support and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care is an asset.
Recognized additional training in primary health care and midwifery is desirable;
HIV/AIDS Management training is desirable
National registration and license are a requirement.
Minimum 5 years of continuous clinical experience in nursing preferably in a multicultural environment;
Intensive Care and health administration. Supervisory experience in a UN field operation is an asset. Knowledge and understanding of relevant UN administrative policies and procedures is desirable.
Experience in Trauma and Emergency care is desirable;
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable.
Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other official UN languages is an advantage.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.