Call for Expression Of Interest - Temporary General Services Positions G1/G2
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The positions are located at FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy.
General Service Positions
The functions in the General Service category include administrative, secretarial and clerical support.
The appointment will be on a short-term contract, lasting 2 months, with a possibility of extension up to 11 months, subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization.
Temporary General Service Assignments are junior positions and do not carry any expectation of, or imply any right to, further extension, renewal or conversion to any other appointment.
The objective of the Call is to attract talent for the Temporary General Service positions as they become available. The Call will create a roster of Applicants that will be used to identify candidates for junior positions at Grades G-1 and G-2 based on the experience and language qualifications.
Below are the some examples of different functional areas covered by the roster:
- Finance Support
- Human Resources Support
- Office Support
- Meetings and Travel services
- Programme Support
- Security Services
Minimum Requirements - CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING:
- Education: Secondary School Education.
- Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant experience in related positions.
- Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- IT Skills: Knowledge of the MS Office applications, internet and office technology equipment.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Knowledge of corporate computerized Financial / Travel / Human resources systems
Main responsibilities and tasks for the General Service positions
The key functions/ results include BUT ARE NOT limited to:
- Sort, register and route correspondence; type and format routine documentation, tables, reports, etc.;
- Receive, screen and direct telephone calls and visitors; respond to routine internal and external enquiries and/or refer to appropriate contacts/units;
- Enter, retrieve, structure and update selected information and data from easily accessible sources (e.g. Intra-/Internet, office files, source material, publications, surveys, reports etc.); present results in standard format;
- Set up and maintain office files and reference systems according to standard procedures;
- Initiate, view and track a variety of administrative transactions in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
- Prepare standard statistical reports, tables and diagrams to show evidence and comparison of statistical information to facilitate further review and analysis;
- Support the organization and administration of meetings, workshops and events;
- Ensure availability of office supplies and appropriate maintenance of office equipment;
- Ensure the initiation of a variety of transactions in the Organization’s computerized administrative systems.
- Prepare draft cost estimates and budget proposals and participate in budget analysis and projections;
- Assist with the familiarisation of security procedures, respecting planned security measures; ensure safety in case of fire or emergencies, and assist people in evacuating the building; carry out entrance checks of people, goods, and ensure their safety and check alarm systems.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency