National Project Personnel (Youth and Gender Specialist)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National Project Personnel (NPP) reports directly to the FAO Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser of the project and the technical guidance of the Regional Gender Officer.
The NPP Youth and Gender Specialist will support the promotion of gender equality and youth employment in sustainable agricultural production and rural development.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide policy and technical support to MoEWA and other government agencies in the formulation and implementation of youth-oriented and gender-transformative policies and programmes for agriculture and food systems development, rural development, food security and nutrition, climate change and resilience.
- Assist in the collection, analysis and dissemination of age and sex-disaggregated data and information to assess the major constraints preventing rural youth and women’s participation in sustainable agriculture, food systems and rural development, and their implications on food security and nutrition. Uses the findings of these analyses support the preparation of knowledge products and information sharing materials.
- Provide support in updating, producing and disseminating capacity development materials to enhance the skills of FAO staff and Saudi ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture, other government and non-governmental agencies to promote gender equality, youth employment and social inclusion in sustainable agriculture, food systems and rural development.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Project implementation planning consultation with nationals and concerned stakeholders.
- Participate in preparation of detailed project annual work plans, with specific gender equality and youth employment outputs and indicators, in close cooperation with the Project team and in collaboration with stakeholders, and making necessary arrangements for the successful implementation of these plans in a timely manner.
- Closely liaise on behalf of the Project with the relevant departments of the MoEWA at central and regional levels as well as with other national stakeholders and partners to facilitate the smooth implementation of the Project’s youth and gender mainstreaming and promotion activities.
- Provide technical support to help the establishment of specialized rural women development units within MEWA’s central and regional levels and develop measures for integrating and mainstreaming gender in all project relevant dimensions and in targeted interventions.
- Contribute to consultation with concerned stakeholders to ensure validation of plans, recommendation and actions to implement the agreed upon interventions/recommendation.
- Monitor the execution of the project youth and gender activities, at both central and regional level in KSA;
- Participate in preparation of semi-annual project progress reports and in reviewing and discussing the progress made in the implementation of the project and lessons learned and recommendations for improving the performance;
- Provide support in the design and conducting of the project diagnostic and baseline studies;
- Participate in assessing training needs of the Project, development of integrated and coordinated training programme including in-country, overseas training courses and study tours and oversee its implementation;
- Contribute with the CTA and other Technical Advisors in the preparation and implementation of the Project joint activities covering all components; and perform any other duty related to the Project as required by FAO Programme Director.
- Participate in efforts to support MoEWA in formulating and implementing agricultural and rural development, and food security and nutrition policies and programmes that promote youth employment and gender equality .
- Participate in the inter-agency collaboration of the UN on youth and gender equality.
- Act as a Gender Focal Point in the KSA office and contribute to the implementation of the FAO Policy on Gender Equality,. Participate in the regional Gender Focal Point Network and in the capacity development opportunities organized by the Regional Office.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- University degree in political science, rural sociology, economics, institutional development, social anthropology, gender studies or other relevant social sciences.
- At least five years of relevant experience in socio-economic analysis, youth employment, gender mainstreaming, policy formulation, capacity development, sustainable agriculture and rural development, food security and nutrition, and climate change and resilience.
- Level C of the Arabic language and limited knowledge (Level B) of English
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/