National Consultant Agro-processing
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The mandate of FAO in Jamaica, Belize and Bahamas is to support national efforts to promote food security and sustainable development. In doing so, FAO works closely with the Ministries of Agriculture, Health and Education. Recently, FAO has begun to expand its partnership to include other ministries to reflect its focus on food security and nutrition. Its beneficiaries have also been expanded to include urban and peri-urban populations.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Country Representative for Jamaica, Bahamas and Belize, the National Consultant- Agro-processing will be home based and will support the FAO Representative and the Assistant FAO Representative to deliver the expected Outputs of the TCP JAM 3802 - Technical Assistance “Inclusive and Resilient Agri-Food System in Rural and Peri-Urban Territories of Kingston”.
The consultant will also work in close collaboration with the Incubator team, the FAO team as well as other critical stakeholders
The Agro-processing expert will assist in the implementation and monitoring of the agri-business incubator in coordination with assigned team members.
Tasks and responsibilities
He/she will work closely with the Incubator team to :
- Facilitate, under the coordination of the FAOR Jamaica, in coordination with the Government, the agenda and the programmatic process to plan, implement and monitoring the expected results of the project TCP BHA 3802 (D).
- Support development of training tools and methodology for young adults and rural women to elaborate business plans with emphasis on sustainable and resilient food systems with focus in value chain and agro-processing.
- Develop appropriate agro-processing content to support training interventions for the agriculture business incubator and train-the-trainer workshops and implementations that target – young adults, rural women and agricultural extension personnel.
- In collaboration with the national coordinator, provide information to the government decision makers to develop a strategic plan to consolidate and institutionalize a national policy public to promote inclusive, sustainable and resilient food systems in the poorest areas of the country considering the new normal situation and response to the covid-19.
- Provide technical assistance for the entrepreneurs coming out of the business incubator funding and implementation of their business plans in coordination with the Government and its partners.
- Support technical assistance to develop family and cooperative agro-industrial enterprise.
- Provide technical assistance on the elaboration of manual for conducting value chain analysis and feasibility studies and assessments related to food, agriculture, and fisheries projects.
- Provide technical assistance, with focus on agro-processing issues, to plan and execute value chain and feasibility analysis to inform entrepreneurs’ business plan development.
- Provide technical assistance to micro-entrepreneurs to develop and implement business plans integrating appropriate agro-processing consideration to commercialize and add value to the food system in Kingston
- Support the incubator team to help provide methodological tools and training materials elaborated to promote market linkages with domestic (with a particular focus on school feeding and other institutional markets), and regional and international markets.
In implementing the activities, the expert must take FAO’s Gender Policy into consideration, ensuring to the extent possible, that there is equity in the benefits accrued to women and men as well as young persons. Gender and age disaggregated data should be collected and presented for all meetings, training and other activities. In addition, the following specific tasks will be undertaken.
- Provide support to the incubator team
- Follow up work plan implementation
- Ensure regular communication with multi-sectorial stakeholders and the Technical and Steering Committees to ensure efficient flow of information between implementing partners and support agencies
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Food and Agro-Processing, Food Technology or related degree.
- At least three (3) years in the management and development of MSME agro-food processing and training.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- National of Jamaica or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Previous related experience in the Caribbean region
- Understanding of and experience in the development and implementation of projects related to rural development, agri-business and food security management system
- Skills and experience in engaging with public sector agencies
- Well-developed inter-personal skills and a demonstrated experience of working in a cross-cultural environment; and,
Excellent writing skills, strong networking and relationship building skills, excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Prior demonstrated relevant experience designing projects and programs in particular those related to rural development
- Previous work with an international organization or UN organization preferred
- Experience in leading interdisciplinary teams
- Good documentation, record keeping and report-writing skills
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.