Chief of Campaigns Section
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Chief of Campaigns Section
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
UNHCR is developing integrated campaigns around strategic priorities that aim at protecting people forced to flee. This is an organization-wide effort, with a whole-of-society approach, in line with the Global Compact on Refugees, in order to engage with and try to influence changes in individual, private sector, civil society and government stakeholders, to help refugees, internally displaced and stateless people and safeguard their rights. Integrated campaigns also aim to influence government policy on behalf of forcibly displaced, including advocating for increased resources for UNHCR in the selected campaign areas. Additionally, raising the profile of UNHCR and its work, also ensures building UNHCR¿s brand as the leading humanitarian organization protecting people forced to flee.
Designing and implementing integrated campaigns that bring together public, private sector and civil society engagement, government policy advocacy, resources mobilization and branding work, is a strategic but ambitious endeavor. In order to succeed, UNHCR requires a Chief, Campaigns Section, a strategic leadership role to lead a new portfolio of priority campaigns.
This new position is located within the Office of the Director, Division of External Relations (DER). The incumbent reports to the Director of DER and directly supervises a small team. S/he will advise and work with Directors and Senior Management to identify priority areas for cross-organizational advocacy campaigns. S/he is responsible for leading the campaign portfolio strategy and planning, and its smooth operation, as well as the development of the priority UNHCR¿s campaigns strategy and overseeing their implementation, , including working with Goodwill Ambassadors (GWA) & influencers, as well as marketing partnerships. The incumbent will work effectively across all teams in the organization, including Regional Bureaux and Country Representations.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Strategic leadership of the UNHCR Campaign Section
- Lead the overall design and execution of the campaign portfolio strategy and ensure its smooth operation.
- Work to integrate the portfolio of priority campaigns into the organizational strategy and plans, its resources and the executive oversight of selected Senior Management.
- Strengthen integration of the UNHCR campaign work, contributing to strong ways of working across sections (advocacy, public engagement, fundraising, and branding) and across country, regional and headquarters teams.
- Advise and work with the supervisor and Senior Management to identify priority campaigns by developing a rational prioritization and selection procedure.
- In close cooperation with the supervisor and relevant Senior Management, ensure effective governance of the campaign portfolio, that provides on-time strategic insight and executive decisions on key portfolio issues.
- Lead the design and implementation of an effective impact and results framework for the portfolio and the individual cross-organisational campaigns executed by the Section.
- Execute coordinated advocacy planning within the DER.
- Prepare and coordinate inputs to UNHCR/DER analysis, briefings and presentations as required.
Effective campaign design and implementation
- Lead the development of UNHCR¿s priority campaigns strategy to increase the salience of key refugee, IDP, and stateless issues, enhance brand awareness, trust and attributes, and maximize UNHCR¿s positioning to set the preconditions for fundraising, the diversification of UNHCR¿s donor base, and the expansion of public support.
- Develop annual plans and budgets for long-term cross-organisational advocacy campaigns, based on organizational priorities and needs for marketing internally and externally.
- Contribute to strong ways of working across campaign functions, including on audience engagement, advocacy, and resource mobilization across the Organisation.
- Build the capacity of campaign core-teams in all aspects related to campaign strategy development and execution.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation of campaign progress leads to effective learning and timely course correction.
- Incorporate due diligence and a thorough risks assessment into the campaign creation process.
- Incorporate gender and other diversity perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Exercise sound judgement and decision-making authority in the management of the work of the Section, including ensuring priorities are met.
Management of stakeholders & strategic partnerships for better results
- Foster productive relationships with other Divisions, work together with Regional Bureaux and Country Representations to develop regional and national advocacy campaigns strategies, to maximize opportunities and ensure follow up of advocacy campaign goals.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for partnerships with external entities - public or private, Government or non-Government ¿ in conceiving collaborations that will expose wider audiences to UNHCR¿s campaign issues and messages.
- Establish the Section as the point of reference for all UNHCR stakeholders seeking information on integrated campaigns.
- Stay abreast of developments within the area of responsibility at relevant levels to inform work on policy development and advice.
- Perform other related duties as requested by UNHCR/DER.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Communications, Public Administration, Advertising, Marketing
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in communications and advocacy, campaigning, international relations, marketing, or human rights. A minimum of five years of experience leading a communications and/or advocacy team in the areas of international and political affairs, conflict prevention or human rights. Experience in priority-setting, forward planning, and strategic analysis. Substantial experience with purpose driven communications and global marketing campaigns.
Five years of field experience in a transitional, developmental, conflict or post-conflict setting.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Essential: Fluency in English.
Desirable: Knowledge of French and knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies advertised in the March 2021 Compendium is Thursday 15 April 2021 (midnight Geneva time).
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: