pretoria (gl. p)
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Oversight Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Oversight Officer reports directly to the Head of Strategic Oversight but will also work closely with the Head of Unit, Oversight Operations.
The work requires extensive collaboration with the staff in the IGO and other oversight entities, both internal and external. The incumbent, together with his/her colleagues, is responsible for performing research and analysis of recurring systemic oversight issues that present high risks to the Organization, identifying root causes and assessing potential remedial measures, and specifically for drafting and editing relevant reports for the Strategic Oversight Service.
S/he liaises and collaborates with staff in the Service, the IGO and other oversight entities. Under the authority of the Head of the IAOC Secretariat, the incumbent supports the members of the Independent Audit & Oversight Committee (IAOC), including in the planning, conduct and documentation of their activities. In cooperation with the Head of Unit, Oversight Operations, Strategic Oversight, the Oversight Officer contributes as required to the support provided by the Service in the relationship between the Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and UNHCR.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to the in-depth analysis of oversight findings and recommendations and the identification of lessons learnt and root cause(s) of recurring systemic issues that present high risks to the Organization, and to the preparation of summary reports, with recommendations, on significant oversight matters requiring management action or intervention;
- Through editorial support, ensure that the Service delivers quality reports, presentations and other documents on oversight matters that fall within its area of responsibility, and that these deliverables meet the IGO's reporting obligations to internal and external stakeholders;
- Monitor and inform the Service about changes in UNHCR¿s internal guidelines and other applicable policies and frameworks, develop brief analyses and maintain repositories of these reference documents as part of the IGO's permanent files;
- Provide support to the Head of the Secretariat of the IAOC, assist in the planning of sessions, the preparation of documentation for members of the IAOC and minutes from the meetings.
- In support of the focal point to JIU, help identify relevant UNHCR points of contact for JIU reviews, organise meetings, facilitate exchange of information and follow-up on UNHCR's comments on JIU reports and related commitments;
- If required, contribute to the development of a data management tool gathering oversight findings and recommendations, participate in the design and the definition of user requirements, collect constraints and expectations from various stakeholders.
- If required, cooperate with staff from other internal and external oversight entities;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3 - 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Law; International Law Public Administration Public Policy
Business Administration; Social Science or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Excellent drafting skills and capacity to communicate complex matters to a wide non-expert audience as well as to experts involved in the area of responsibility.
- Experience in policy drafting or development of frameworks and/or monitoring tools and/or in information management;
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to research and analyse qualitative and quantitative information, draw sound and well-founded conclusions, and present findings, recommendations and conclusions in a clear, precise, concise and informed manner.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Good command of communication platforms (Sharepoint) and data analytics and visualization tools such as Power BI, Tableau or Qlik Sense.
- Work experience in an oversight capacity within UN system organizations, NGOs or public organizations.
- Certificates in audit, risk management or forensic accounting.
MS Producing Reports
MS Provide support, advice and guidance in relevant field
RC Archives Enterprise Content Management
UN-UNHCR¿s governance structure and organizational structure at HQ and in the Field
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
CO-Web publishing and content management
PO-Policy Development, Evaluation, Research, Publication
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X006L3 - Policy Development & Research Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies advertised in the March 2021 Compendium is Thursday 15 April 2021 (midnight Geneva time).
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: