Project Manager - Sustainable and Resilient Communities through Women Empowerment Project - UNDP Moldova
Republic of Moldova is facing many significant environmental issues triggered mainly by the unsustainable use of natural resources and agricultural practices. As a result, there is continuous degradation and loss of fertile land and biodiversity and air and water pollution from point and non-point sources due to high motorization and dumping of waste and chemicals. All these along with the pending climate change risks directly and indirectly affect the living conditions and health of the population, and especially of women, as well as the economic development of the country, contributing to further increase in poverty, especially in rural areas.
In Moldova, the poverty rate is 7.5 times higher in rural areas than in large cities. Since a significant part of the rural population is engaged in subsistence agricultural activities, the risk of falling below the poverty line is high in years of climate-related extreme events. Rural population is increasingly vulnerable to climate change impacts , especially women and women-led households, who are not able to provide resources and services needed to ensure water, food and energy supply for their families . Moreover, rural poor have limited knowledge regarding the sustainable and environment-friendly agricultural and forestry practices that would increase adaptation and resilience capacities of communities and ecosystems.
The strategy of the project is to build inclusive sustainable and resilient communities and create an enabling environment for women’s economic, social and educational empowerment trough the following outcomes: (i) sustainable, climate resilient and environmentally-sound livelihoods defined and local capacities&knowledge on environment, climate change and gender enhanced and implemented successfully (ii) NGOs capacities to provide expertise to LPAs and women in the field of resilience to climate change, sustainable development and gender mainstreaming; (iii) environment-friendly and climate resilient practices and projects implemented by women headed households, women agri-producers and communities; and, (iv) sustainable and climate resilient practices and business models disseminated and replicated.
The proposed project is fully aligned with the national priorities in the area of gender, environment protection, climate change and agriculture and the country’s commitment to pursue European integration and to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. The planned interventions will specifically contribute to implementation of the Gender Equality Strategy 2017-2021, the Climate Change Adaptation Strategy 2014-2020, the National Environmental Strategy 2014-2023, the Agriculture and Rural Development Strategy 2014-2020, Strategy on Biological Diversity 2015-2020 and to the EU-Moldova Association Agreement.
In accomplishing the first outcome, the project will be guided by the UNDP 5-step capacity development approach with focus on women and men (including women from vulnerable groups – women with disabilities, elderly women, young women, roma women etc): engage women on capacity development; assess capacities and needs; formulate a capacity development response; implement a capacity development response; and evaluate capacity development. The individual level capacity (technical skills, knowledge, and experience) will be tackled by the proposed project and would enable the target women groups to have a better understanding of the environmental sustainability and to cope with climate change events and risks.
The second outcome will capacitate NGOs to provide expertise to LPAs and women in the field of resilience to climate change, sustainable development and gender mainstreaming.
In implementing the third outcome, the project will provide financial, technical and informational support to women headed households, agri-producers and communities for piloting environment-friendly and climate change resilient practices in agriculture, forestry and other relevant areas aligned with their economic and social needs. The project will provide micro-size grants to 60 women-headed households, medium sized grants to 10 women agri-producers and 30 communities to support environment-related and climate change resilient activities and expand livelihood opportunities.
The last outcome aims to support preparation of case studies, best practices, lessons learned and other relevant information on climate adaptation solutions and sustainable and resilient livelihoods from the pilot communities to enable their replication and scaling at the national level. The experience will be shared and replicated beyond project borders through sharing events, agricultural extension networks, environmental forums, mass-media and other communication tools. The project will be implemented in Nisporeni, Calarasi, Basarabeasca, and Leova districts and one district from Gagauzia region (to be determined at the inception phase) and one district from the Transnistrian region (to be determined at the inception phase).
 3rd National Communication under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
 Gender Equality Strategy of Moldova 2017-2021
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, the incumbent provides effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the project results.
The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager in close cooperation with the UNDP Country Office Climate Change, Energy and Environment Cluster will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Within the strategic framework concerted with the national counterparts, prepare work-plans reflecting the scope of activities, timing, sequencing, cost and other inputs for the implementation of the Project activities;
- Be responsible for the implementation of the Project work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as for the overall management of the Project in accordance to prevailing UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Liaise with the national counterparts, donors and the UNDP office to ensure that Project results are achieved and Project resources are managed efficiently and effectively;
- Present work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Project Board and UNDP Country Office;
- Ensure the effective management of human resources pertaining to the Project, including both staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals; validate terms of reference for international and national consultants;
- Manage efficiently the financial resources of the Project, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain relevant Project activities, issues, risks, etc in the UNDP Atlas Project Management Module (software platform);
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study tours and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project;
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top quality progress reports;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required;
- Assume full responsibility for quality planning of project outputs, including of the inception phase in line with the project’s timeframe and the recommendations from the appraisal stage;
- Prepare and submit timely reports to the donor and provide inputs to the Results-oriented Annual Report;
- Facilitate a smooth collaboration between all key project stakeholders by ensuring a continuous flow of information and addressing implementation issues in a pro-active and solution-oriented manner;
- Maintain excellent relationship with the donor and respond promptly to donor’s requests;
- Support the UNDP Country Office Programme in implementation of the resource mobilization strategy.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Climate Change, Environment and Energy Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values.
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities.
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives.
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines.
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff.
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting.
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document.
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities.
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills and the related ability for adaptive management with prompt action on the conclusion and recommendations coming out from the project’s regular monitoring and self-assessment activities.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in public administration, economics, law, environmental science or related areas.
- Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least 8 years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of projects and/or working in a relevant position to this post.
- At least 4 years of experience in managing a multidisciplinary team.
- Advanced experience in managing complex projects on the ground, including demonstrated capacity to manage a wide range of national and sub-national stakeholders, including local communities.
- Previous working experience in the field of climate change and/or gender is an advantage.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP is an employer committed to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both male and female.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.