in implementing the mandate of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, OHCHR Uganda carries out interventions under five thematic areas: Strengthening the rule of law and accountability for human rights violations; Enhancing and protecting Civic Space and people’s Participation; Integrating human rights in sustainable development; Enhancing equality and countering discrimination; and Increasing implementation of the international human rights mechanisms’ outcomes. OHCHR’s interventions relate to the provision of technical assistance, including legal advice and capacity building, monitoring of human rights issues, and engaging in advocacy, among others.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the National Administrative/Deputy Head of Office OHCHR, the Office Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions.
- Monitors processes and schedules related the administrative unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. procurement processes in regard to arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests etc.)
- Supports in monitoring and alerting on deadlines for submission of required procurement documentations
- Supporting the Administration Team leaders and Desk Officers in preparing and finalizing procurement documents,
- Assists in preparing plans for the purchase of equipment, services, and supplies.
- Assists in reviewing, comparing, analyzing, and approving products and services to be purchased.
- Assists in maintaining accurate purchase and pricing records.
- Assists in maintaining and updating supplier information such as qualifications, delivery times, product ranges, etc.
- Assists in undertaking procurement function of sourcing for quotation and make analysis for the certification of the Administrative Officer and subsequently prepares commitment letter for approved purchases
- Administers invoices (match invoices received with procurement documents) and check for occurrence and arithmetic accuracy.
- Maintains good supplier relations and negotiations.
- Assists in researching and evaluating prospective suppliers.
- Assists in preparing budgets, cost analyses, and reports regarding procurement.
- Performs any other related duties assigned.
Professionalism: Demonstrated conceptual analytical and evaluation skills, ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations.
Planning & organizing: Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitors own work plan.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Commitment to continuous learning: Willingness to learn and keep abreast of new developments in the field of administration.
Technology awareness: Solid computer skill, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, IMIS, and relevant software packages.
Communication: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner in English and to communicate effectively orally in the same language. Ability to draft correspondence and reports.
Teamwork: Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a conflict-ridden, multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Knowledge: Knowledge and understanding of relevant administrative, financial and accounting policies and procedures.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: At least a High school diploma or equivalent in Business Administration, Accounting or other related areas.
Experience: At least 2 years of combined progressively responsible experience in related area of work. Also experience in general office support is desirable.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English.