IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The post is based in Karachi and the incumbent will lead the FAO Provincial Office, Sindh.
The Technical Adviser reports to FAO Representative in Pakistan and works in close collaboration with the Deputy FAO Representative, Assistant FAO Representatives (Programme and Administration) and Lead Technical Officers.
• Leads the development of detailed project and related programme work plans, ensures timely development of procurement plans, and manages day to day operations of the provincial office based in Sindh;
• Monitors and supervises the execution of project activities ensuring in particular close working relations with government officials, line departments / authorities, and provides technical support and general supervision of the project team and staff in the Province of Sindh;
• Provides technical and skills development leadership and contributes to identify and pilot innovative initiatives in value chains, agribusiness, market linkages and inclusive food systems in the province of Sindh.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support technical cooperation-related programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned technical cooperation-related programmes/projects; review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates technical cooperation activities and programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for their implementation and leads the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice regarding the development of policies and strategies related to technical cooperation, as well as regional, subregional and national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Manages programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Leads and evaluates progress and planning against work plans and projects' objectives for the ongoing FAO implemented projects in the Province of Sindh;
• Supervises the team and provides guidance to project staff and subcontractors;
• Oversees the overall implementation of the activities, establishment of development goals - project targets and allocation thereof to provincial program offices and structuring of interventions in the project districts;
• Leads coordination, communication and provides technical support to Provincial Managers, Value Chain Specialists and the project teams;
• Ensures implementation of programmatic policies and procedures for smooth and effective implementation of the project activities;
• Liaises with the Provincial Focal Points and relevant Departments and Ministries in the federal and provincial governments, international and national research institutes, FAO and other technical assistance and develops partnerships to ensure co-ordination and collaboration required for implementation of the projects;
• Ensures timely procurement services under the technical guidance of the Procurement Services at headquarters;
• Liaises and collaborates with other United Nations (UN) agencies and development partners and seeks synergies;
• Supports the OneUN Programme and organizes and supports co-chairing of OneUN Provincial Steering Committee, contributes to OneUN Provincial Team meetings (UNPT) and the Area Security Management Team (ASMT);
• Ensures smooth implementation of the projects' and good level of coordination and integration of new program assessments and project evaluations in the provinces;
• Contributes to resource mobilisation in the context of the Country Program Framework.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, agribusiness, rural development, climate change or relevant agro-allied disciplines;
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation's related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation's related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Demonstrated experience in agribusiness service providing Micro and Small Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and capacity enhancement; regulating and institutionalizing frameworks at federal and provincial levels for rural value chain and MSMEs development;
• Extent and relevance of experience in promoting gender inclusive income and employment generation, enhanced productivity and profitability of MSMEs’ involved in primary production, service provision and value addition in and around selected clusters of production;
• Experience with international and donor organizations implementing participatory projects is considered a strong asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in analysing natural resources management and related issues;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy reports, guidelines and manuals;
• Demonstrated ability to mobilise resources.