National Project Personnel -Technical Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The objective of the project is that Mongolia is fully capacitated to report to the UNFCCC under the Paris Agreement’s Enhanced Transparency Framework (ETF) with strengthened agricultural and land-use sector components including inventories of greenhouse gases by sources and sinks, and information necessary to track progress against priority actions identified in Mongolia’s NDC for these sectors. The project is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
The Technical Specialist will work under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Mongolia and technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer, with close cooperation with the National Project Director. The Technical Specialist’s role will cover project “Strengthening capacity in the agricultural and land-use sectors for enhanced transparency in implementation and monitoring of Mongolia’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC)”
The Technical Specialist will report to the National Project Manager (NPM) and Decision Support Specialist. He/she will support the NPM in coordinating the project’s execution and daily operations. The incumbent reports to the NPM and works in close cooperation with other PMU staff. The Technical Specialist will make inputs to achieve national and local climate-related goals, especially those of the NDC.
The aim of the project is not to conduct activities that directly mitigate climate change or improve Mongolia’s climate-related adaption, but rather to enhance the quality of information related to those issues by aligning MRV practices with global standards. The project will focus to a) enhancing the Institutional arrangements to coordinate preparation of ETF reports for agricultural, land-use, and other relevant sectors b) strengthen capacity to measure emissions, removals, and emission-reduction activities from the agricultural and land-use sectors and b) strengthen capacity to measure climate-change impacts, vulnerabilities, and adaptation-related activities in the agricultural and land-use sectors.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Ensure the coordination of technical inputs into the project;
• Assist in the supervision of the project’s activities in accordance with the project document and approved annual work-plan and budget;
• Assist NPM and Decision support specialist on effective coordination of the Technical Working Group (TWG) and Subgroups;
• Provide technical support to NPM and the Decision-Support Specialist on specific activities under Components;
• Prepare assessments, reports and collect data and information as required to support technical activities under Components ;
• Assist Decision Support Specialist in drafting relevant requirements of Letter of Agreements (LOAs) and contracts;
• Assist the project’s daily operations;
• Promote the coordination with stakeholders and related initiatives;
• Facilitate in collaboration between the participating institutions and organizations;
• Assist in fulfilment of the PMU’s obligations as secretariat for the PSC and TWG;
• Support in implementation of the project’s monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plan and its communication plan;
• Draft the preparation of the PPRs and MET reports;
• Arrange the organization of annual project workshops and meetings to monitor project progress and prepare the AWP/B;
• Assist the submission of PPRs and AWP/B to PSC and FAO for approval;
• Assist Decision Support Specialist in drafting technical reports;
• Prepare project advocacy related documents;
• Draft the preparation of PIRs, joint supervision missions, and final evaluation; and
• Perform other relevant duties if required.
• Prepare a report on a suitable measurement framework for climate-change impacts, vulnerabilities, and adaptation-related activities prioritized in the NDC for the agricultural and land-use sectors including QC protocols for collecting, managing, and archiving data;
• Prepare a capacity and technology gaps and needs reports based on the assessment above;
• Prepare a draft (CCA) capacity building plan to strengthen capacity to and capacity and technology gaps and needs assessment report for more effective CCA monitoring and reporting consistent with ETF requirements;
• Identify necessary procurement activities and suitable consultants and/or service providers and related resource requirements to implement the CCA capacity building plan;
• Lead and support training and capacity building activities as detailed in the CCA capacity building plan;
• Support process to validate and pilot measures to strengthen monitoring and reporting of climate-change impacts, vulnerabilities, and adaptation-related activities prioritized in the NDC for the agricultural and land-use sectors;
• Support preparation of monitoring reports on climate-change impacts, vulnerabilities, and adaptation-related activities prioritized in the NDC for the agricultural and land-use sectors in a manner consistent with ETF requirements
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Education degree, preferably in Environmental sciences, Agriculture, Land-use and Forestry/ or similar fields, or equivalent experience;
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the inventory of forestry, agriculture and/or land-use sectors;
• Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of another FAO official languages;
• Nationality of Mongolia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Demonstrated understanding of climate change and commitment to climate change mitigation and adaptation, especially in the agriculture, forestry and land-use sectors in Mongolia;
• Experience in Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV), and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) in Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land-Use (AFOLU) sector is an asset;
• Demonstrated experience and ability to work with multi stakeholders including government agencies, both at national and sub-national levels;
• Proven skills in excellent communication and networking
• Excellent planning and organizing skills, accurate with attention to detail, and prioritization
• Able to work as part of a multi-national team
• High computer literacy
• Experience in the UN system is an asset
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/