Senior Business Development Specialist
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Context
The ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine has had a direct and highly negative impact on economic development, business sector, social cohesion, resilience, livelihoods, community security, and the rule of law. Recognizing the need to urgently address reconstruction, economic recovery and peacebuilding needs in areas affected both directly and indirectly by the conflict, in late 2014 the Government of Ukraine requested technical assistance and financial support from the international community to assess priority recovery needs. In late 2014, the United Nations, the World Bank and the European Union conducted a Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessment, which was endorsed by the Cabinet of Ministers in mid-2015.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support overall operational management of the Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP and delivery of results, in close cooperation with the Economic Recovery Specialist, in accordance with the programme documents, work plans and other joint agreements between the Government, the donors and UNDP;
- Support timely preparation, update and implementation of work plans for Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP;
- Provide input to the RPP activities and outputs and ensure timely implementation of programme activities, including reporting on progress vis-à-vis planned activities and expected outputs;
- Support coordinating the work of RPP team members, experts and consultants, including the preparation of the terms of reference, facilitation of recruitment and monitoring of work/results;
- Coordinate planning and implementation of activities related to MSMEs (micro, small and medium-sized enterprises) development, including but not limited to the preparation of relevant knowledge products;
- Lead the design of the overall capacity building for entrepreneurs, government institutions and other relevant stakeholders, undertake market assessments, continually identify specific training needs, as well as gaps in technical expertise, business development services and access to finance;
- Support proper management of the budget allocated for the Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP. Ensure that funds are available when needed and disbursements achieved as per the work plans and cost-sharing agreements;
- Support appropriate recording and accounting documentation as required by UNDP and supervise preparations of required financial reports;
- Initiate and maintain close liaison with national, regional and other partners;
- Ensure compliance of RPP business processes with UNDP Project Operational Policies and Procedures and UNDP Standard Operating Procedures;
- Support preparation of reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Facilitate programme monitoring and evaluation, as well as audit activities;
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment considerations in the field of expertise;
- Make sure that all products, communications, awareness-raising materials, curricula, reports properly include issues of gender equality and gender equity and help promote equal opportunities for women and men;
- Promote a safe and enabling environment free of discrimination and abusive behaviour;
- Perform any other related duties as required and assigned by the supervisor.
- Appropriate implementation of Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Reporting, quality monitoring and closure activities completed.
- Annual work plan for the Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP is fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery for Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure component of RPP reached 100%;
- RPP operational requirements are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- People Management;
- Demonstrating commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displaying cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrating corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Management and Leadership;
- Conflict Management;
- Self –management and emotional intelligence;
- Results-Based Project Development and Management:
- Assesses programme financial performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into programme work.
- Ability to manage project/programmes for results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable work plans; and prepare project/programme reports in a timely manner
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Client Orientation:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Performs analyses and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Good interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and establish partnership with government authorities and CSO’s and within UNDP;
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment;
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team;
- Familiarity with national legislation on recovery issues;
- Demonstrated strong coordination and facilitation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Law, Management, Development Studies, Social or Political Sciences, Public or Business Administration, or similar disciplines.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant progressively responsible experience at the national and/or international level in programme/project formulation (design), management and/or implementation, including experience in monitoring and evaluating development projects, in the field of economic recovery, business and/or economic development, or related fields.
- The above stated experience in relation to Eastern Ukraine is a substantial advantage;
- Experience in delivering capacity building, advisory and advocacy services to the Government or non-government stakeholders in the relevant thematic areas is an important advantage;
- Experience in establishing working relations with Government and non-government actors and cooperating with relevant stakeholders on economic recovery issues at the national and/or sub-national levels is an advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) is required.
- Familiarity with UNDP project management procedures and experience with ATLAS is an asset, PRINCE2 qualifications will be considered as an advantage.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.