Architect for COVID-Resilient Election in Timor-Leste (CORE-TL) Project
As a Small Island post-conflict country, Timor-Leste is facing a number of development challenges despite noticeable progress since independence in 2002. These challenges have been further exacerbated by the outbreak of the novel Corona virus which resulted in a national State of Emergency in 2020, now extended into 2021, resulting in substantial negative socio-economic consequences for the Timorese people. On top of this, Timor-Leste is expecting a series of elections at the national and municipal level in 2021-2024. This not only presents a risk for the spread of the virus as people gather for the election, but equally, hinders the continued practice of representative democratic elections if not conducted, and thus, undermining democratic governance.
In response to this, UNDP has initiated the ‘COVID-Resilient Elections in Timor-Leste (CORE-TL)’ project to ensure continued and strengthened democratic governance and successful elections. Funded by the Government of Japan, and in partnership with the national Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs), the project aims to:
1. support municipal EMB offices to become COVID-resilient, accessible, and environmentally friendly;
2. address the underlying issues of long-term resilience to pandemics such as COVID by developing COVID-Resilient Election Plan and Manuals;
3. provide effective and innovative electoral and COVID-19 awareness communication;
4. strengthen the participation and representation of youth, women, and persons with disabilities in politics.
As a result of the project, Timor-Leste will be equipped to carry out COVID-resilient, democratic, and inclusive elections at both the national and sub-national level. This ultimately supports the sustainable development of Timor-Leste, the achievement of Agenda 2030, and the strengthening of accessible, accountable, and gender-responsive governance systems, institutions, and services at both the national and municipal levels.
The municipal branches of both EMBs – STAE and CNE – are critical for the success of the upcoming elections. The EMB offices’ carry out a wide range of important tasks and are visited by residents throughout the entire electoral cycle. In particularly, voter registration, electoral education (STAE), and civic education (CNE) require large gatherings which pose a risk of spreading pandemics such as COVID-19. Therefore, it is critical that both STAE and CNE are equipped with COVID-resilient infrastructure, and are accessible to all, including the most vulnerable groups, namely women, youth, and persons with disabilities (component 1 of the project). Hence, the UNDP are seeking an Architect to join the team and assist the civil engineers to design and oversee the construction and renovation of EMB offices across Timor-Leste.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager (NPM) and the IUNV Civil Engineer Specialist, the Architect will perform following works:
A. Design Phase
- Produce design concept, architectural drawings, and construction drawings (including mechanical and electrical drawings) for the construction and renovation of EMB offices in a number of municipalities in Timor-Leste;
- Ensure that the designs and drawings are given enough consideration to efficient energy usage, environmental sustainability, disaster resilience, accessibility, and security, and are in line with the national building codes and regulations;
- Prepare all documents necessary to obtain approval from UNDP, as well as the permits from the building management and other relevant authorities;
- Ensure that all designs and drawings comply with Timor-Leste’s standards as per the Development Agency (Agência de Desenvolvimento Nacional) and the Ministry of Public Works;
- Assist in the preparation of Bill of Quantities (BOQs) and technical specifications.
B. Construction Phase
- Provide expert opinion during the tender stage to make sure that the company identified for carrying out the construction and renovation works possesses all the required skills and experience to deliver the project as per approved design and work-schedule;
- Provide technical assistance for UNDP during bid application process to questions addressed from potential bidders.
The Architect shall act as UNDP Technical Expert together with UNDP’s Engineers, as needed and, though not limited to below, carry out the followings:
- Issue full package of drawings and other information to respective contractor identified to carry out the Construction and renovation works;
- Provide detailed explanations on all questions that the construction and refurbishment contractor/company may have;
- Lead project site inspections/meetings;
- To ensure compliance with all design parameters, inspect the setting-out, progress and quality of work, and to resolve technical issues that may arise during the course of the works;
- When required, review and comment on periodic financial reports including the effect of any variations on costs due to change orders;
- Monitor the work of the contractor company to rectify items on the punch-list;
- Review and certify Progress Payment Reports/Certificates as appropriate.
- Review any changes required in the construction drawings during construction phase and inform UNDP for approval
Monitoring and reporting:
- Support in preparing periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports and minutes, stakeholder meetings minutes, contractor’s bill review reports, certifications, etc.;
- Take pictures and collate operational documents in digital formats for the contract records and duly maintain an electronic library of photos/documents of the progress of the works, and ensure that the daily records are kept in the site workbook;
- Monitor the workplans and inform the International UNV Civil Engineer and Project Manager for any deviation; Inform the International UNV Civil Engineer and the National Project Manager of any problem which may arise with the Contractor;
- Assist in the preparation of inspection for the substantial completion of the construction;
- Assist in the preparation of the completion/handover/close-out reports, events, and technical site visits.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing on engineering monitoring and evaluation:
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building, including those on gender-sensitive approaches and COVID-resilient infrastructures;
- Collaboration and coordination with EMBs, and other stakeholders on engineering issues;
- Participation in the professional engineering community, remaining abreast of latest developments and professional norms, standards, tools, and methodologies.
The Architect will be based in Dili with frequent travels to the project sites to conduct assessment and monitoring of the civil works.
Impact of Results
The key results will have an impact on the effective and timely delivery of the CORE-TL project. As one of the first and largest COVID-resilient election project for the UNDP Timor-Leste office, the successful delivery of the project will result in a stronger, more strategic, position of the UNDP Timor-Leste.
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of ATLAS system desirable
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Architecture
- 4 years of relevant experience for bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years for Masters’ degree in architecture, construction/management of infrastructure through results-based management approach.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or other design software’s and applications associated in infrastructure design.
- Experience drafting BOQs, conducting field assessments, and monitoring of infrastructure;
- Knowledge of climate proofing infrastructure standards for design and construction.
- Experience in handling of tender documents for sizeable engineering works, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending/funding agencies;
- Use of project management-related software (e.g., MS Project and Excel);
- Experience working with Government institutions.
- Knowledge of UNDP procurement system is an asset.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.